This New Founde Lande


Advertisement
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Late at night on Saturday, August 22nd we flew into St. John´s to discover this New Founde Lande of John Cabot´s. My parents met us at the airport in a flurry of hugs & kisses. On Sunday we introduced Eva to the Newfoundland tradition of foraging for wild blueberries. It´s backbreaking work since the berries are low to the ground, and Dad doesn´t let you quit until you´ve filled your beef bucket. Somehow Eva enjoyed it. On Monday we went for a hike by the ocean on the East Coast Trail.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, we visited Trinity, which is a Newfoundland tourist town (sort of like the San Juans for you Washington folk). We hiked the Skerwink trail with my sister Janice and her boyfriend Brian who is working in Trinity for the Rising Tide Theatre (not a bad fellow, considering) as the lighting guy. The Sherwink Trail runs along the edge of the cliffs and shoreline, and features some fairly spectacutar views of banks and offshore rocks. According to a book mom read, it´s one of the top 35 hikes in all of America and Europe, but we forget the name of the book. Check out our pics and decide for yourself! On Wednesday morning, we visited the movie set for Random Passage, a Canadian TV series based on a small town in rural Newfoudland in the 1800´s. The set consists of rough wooden houses such as Newfoundlanders may have lived in many years ago (George Sr. is a little skeptical).

After getting back to St. John´s on Wednesday night, we met up with my best bud Trudy at the Casbah back in town for dinner and drinks.

More from The Rock to come!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



15th September 2009

beef buckets
Good to hear from you - thanks for the updates. Looks like fun. Pass on a "hello" for us back on "the Rock". You may have to explain the beef bucket! (your average Seattleite doesn't store beef in buckets!)

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb