A Bit More of Newfoundland


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hi, Again --

The first photo scene, the three colorful sheds, is used in all of the Province's PR materials. We were lucky to see it.

The next photos were taken in Bowring Park in St. John's. You might want to read the story on the plaque, "Into No Man's Land." Even through this tragedy happened July 1, 1916, Newfoundlanders still commemorate that date and wear a blue flower for remembrance.

The last photo, a truck on its side, was taken on our way to the five-hour ferry to Nova Scotia. We had just passed the "Wreakhouse" in a very strong wind when we saw the overturned truck. There's a story about the Wreakhouse, related here by Wikipedia: Lockie MacDougall, a farmer and trapper, was born in 1896 and lived at Wreckhouse. He had a natural sixth sense to the changes in the weather and this ability allowed him to be employed by Robert Gillespie Reid, whose company built the Newfoundland Railway. MacDougall would inform the railway if it was safe for trains to pass, performing this task for thirty years until his death in 1965.

Bob and I spent over two weeks in eastern Newfoundland and found it to be amazingly beautiful. I hope you can get a glimpse of its beauty from these photos. The people we had contact with were also pretty great: gregarious, easy going and matter of fact, hardy souls. Considering, according to one travel book, that they enjoy only six weeks of warm weather a year, it's easy to understand why they would have such dispositions.

Next blog: Nova Scotia

Be well, Paula


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Paula in front of lighthousePaula in front of lighthouse
Paula in front of lighthouse

If you could look far, far over the water, you'd see Ireland.
windy day in Newfoundlandwindy day in Newfoundland
windy day in Newfoundland

That's our RV on the right side.


Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb