Day 28: We Made It!


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We're HERE!We're HERE!We're HERE!

What a feeling!
We guess it's no surprise at this point, but we made it safe and sound, and did it in exactly 4 weeks on the road, arriving before the end of July. We're giving ourselves a little pat on the back now.

Before going to bed last night, Eric found a hotel which still had rooms available in St. John's. Though it was a little out of our usual price-range, we really wanted a real room and a bed, so we went ahead and booked the room (well we booked it this morning once Therese was awake and we could make the decision together). Knowing we had a place to go at the end of the day was a big weight off our shoulders.

At 8:00 am, the nice lady who ran the bed and breakfast made us a big and wonderful breakfast. It was raining at the time, so we took things slow, and relaxed a bit more before taking off. We knew check in wasn't until 3:00 anyway, so we were in no rush.

We finally got going around 10:40, and by this time the rain had stopped, though it was still cold and cloudy out. We
For Your Viewing PleasureFor Your Viewing PleasureFor Your Viewing Pleasure

We didn't take too many photos today, so here is another happy shot of our arrival
had a nice ride for the first 20 km or so, taking mostly less major streets. There were hills, but none too steep, and the thought of being done by the evening put us in a great mood. At the end of that first stretch, we got back on a main highway (but not the TCH) for the remainder of our trip. At this point we hit a long stretch of slowly rising hills, but nothing we couldn't handle, and once they were done with, we had a long, shallow down slope most of the rest of the way into St John's, which was a real treat.

Our hotel has a lookout over the harbour, and is at the top of a large and famous hill, so our last 2 km were the steepest of the day. Once there, we found it a bit over priced for what we're getting, but we were so jubilant that it couldn't dampen our spirits in the lightest. We washed our clothes, and ourselves, and took a short rest. Tonight we're going to hit the George St. festival we've been hearing so much about, and enjoy ourselves to the fullest. Normally we would include the evening in our blog, but this is it for the bike trip, from here on its a vacation, so we thought now was a good time to deal with today's entry. We'll continue to update the blog until we're back, but perhaps not on a daily basis: only time will tell.

Thanks to all of you who have been following and posting, knowing how much you enjoyed hearing about our travels made the adventure even more fun to go through.

That's all for now. Take care everyone!

Stats:
Departure time: 10:40 am
Arrival time: 2:20 pm
Total distance travelled: 46.9 km
Total time on bike: 2h 41m
Average speed: 17.4 km/h
Trip distance: 2216.8 km

- E and T

Advertisement



31st July 2011

Bravo!
Congratulations to both of you on a job well done! For completing such a fun trip, *and* writing a fun-to-read and interesting blog to keep us all up-to-date! Looking forward to seeing you again on blokus.com.
31st July 2011

Finish Line!
Congratulations, guys! What an epic adventure you two went on. You travelled through 6 out of 10 provinces in only 4 weeks - that's quite the accomplishment to be proud of! You've earned a little R&R before heading home!
1st August 2011

Wow!
Great job guys!!! Happy to know everything went well!! Love you! M-E
1st August 2011

Congratulations
You made it safe and sound!!! What an achievement!!! Enjoy St John's and have a safe trip back. See you soon
1st August 2011

Made It
Congratulations E & T. I am so proud of you. Rita
3rd August 2011

Wow
What a great adventure .... your Blogs were top notch I felt like Ii was riding with you guys ... I am not as tired though .... Enjoy your free time! Take care
4th August 2011

I've enjoyed your blog!!
What a great memory!! Maybe your scrapbooking Mom can print this out and put something together for you to remember. (Shira, no pressure...just saying with your spare time :-). Enjoy the rest of your journey. I'll continue to follow you through your travels. Love Aunt Janis and Uncle Morry
5th August 2011

Congratulations!
It was great to be able to watch your progress on your journey. Happy you enjoyed your time in Newfoundland!

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb