Calm before the storm.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador » St John's
September 7th 2019
Published: September 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

First of all I made a mistake on the last blog. I said we were going to Avalon where Ann of Green Gables was written. That was wrong. The Green Gables house is on Prince Edward Island, which we will be going to later. What is in Avalon is the Colony of Avalon. It is an archeological dig of the village of Avalon from the 1700's.

We are awaiting Dorian. It has already hit Halifax and Nova Scotia and is producing a lot of damage. We were supposed to fly tomorrow from Gander to Halifax in the afternoon. We called the airlines and our flight has been cancelled. We suggested that they rebook us from St. John's instead. They said sure, but we couldn't fly until Monday afternoon. So we had to add an extra night in St. John's, extend the car rental and cut our stay in Halifax by one day. Everyone was very cooperative and we are all set. We aren't supposed to get a lot of rain tomorrow, just a lot of wind.

So yesterday we drove to the Cape Spear National Historic Site and Lighthouse. It was a beautiful sunny day. We had great views of the lighthouse, the coastline and some WWII defensive fortifications. We then drove down the peninsula to the Colony of Avalon.

Today we drove up to the Basilica of St. John the Baptist and did a tour. It was built in the 1850's. It has the largest set of stained glass windows in all of Newfoundland. Then we headed over to the Rooms. The Rooms is actually a museum, art gallery and history of the Newfoundland people. It was very interesting. We stayed there almost the whole day.

Tomorrow we weather out the storm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb