Fundy National Park - Second Day


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Alma, New BrunswickAlma, New BrunswickAlma, New Brunswick

Right in town. Beautiful seeing these boats on the water.
Another great sleep last night. It was windy, but comfortable in the ol’ RV.

We enjoyed a breakfast of bacon ‘n eggs (fake bacon for Shelley), coffee ‘n tea and then got ready for the day.

We lazed around the campsite in the morning. I enjoyed a pipe with my coffee and did a bit of reading, then actually got in a cigar as well! That’s quite the morning.

Afterwards, we decided that we would drive the 37 minutes (according to the GPS) to get some gas and a few supplies. Little did we know that about three minutes up the road from our campsite is a little village of Alma with a Gulf gas station, general store, hotels, and PLENTY of ‘lobstah’ shacks and places to eat.

We were thrilled since we had it in our minds that we were going to driving a long while there and back.

We parked the RV in a large parking lot of a hotel. We determined that we would have lunch from there since they ‘were’ hosting us for a spell while we snooped around.

Walking up the road we entered a motel gift shop and found
Red Adirondack chairs Red Adirondack chairs Red Adirondack chairs

These are everywhere for folks to sit on and relax.
some neat souvenirs. One is a little drunk sailor smoking a pipe that hangs on the neck of your bottle of wine - cute. The other was a lighthouse made of wood and prettily painted greyish blue and adored with little buoys and rope entwined around it. Very nice. That will go on our mantle at home.

Leaving there, we were walking up the sidewalk when all of a sudden, Shelley fell down forwards onto the sidewalk and partially into the road way. She hesitated getting up since she hadn’t quite realized that she had fallen. I helped her up and she was a bit stunned. The sidewalks were terribly uneven. She tripped and fell. No scrapes or cuts, no broken bones or anything. Just some soreness and a slight abrasion on the cuff of her palm. Her left side is sore a bit. When we got back to the RV, she had some Ibuprofen.

We continued on down to a place that looked interesting and busy, but was simply a take out restaurant that smelled to high heaven of ‘fish’ and Shelley didn’t want to stay there.

We hobbled back to the RV and I went
FlowersFlowersFlowers

Just some pretty flowers along the walkway.
in to the hotel next to us to bring us some lunch. Man, was that ever good. I had a haddock sandwich with tartar sauce and lettuce with fries. Shelley had Pad Thai (with tofu) and we shared the scrumptious mozzarella sticks with Marinara sauce. I had a beer and Shelley enjoyed a blueberry infused beer (local).

There was a neat old house with handmade articles for sale; blankets, sweaters (hand knit), pottery, local artisan stuff. Next to this house was a little bookstore of sorts. I popped in and ended up buying a book and a DVD for us to watch later.

Maggie walked with us down Main Street:


A visit to the General Store was next; only got a couple of things there (water mostly). Then we came back to the campsite to set up again.

More snoozing (hey - we’re on holidays!) and it was great. Only one hour this time though.

We then went for a little walk to the Gift Shop and information pavilion. From there, we crossed the road and headed towards the cliff. There’s a large sweeping expanse of grass and along the edge they have some
Me with an old ship mateMe with an old ship mateMe with an old ship mate

Kidding. This was located in the store where we bought our souvenirs.
red coloured Adirondack chairs one can sit in to take in the magnificent view of the shoreline.

Shelley remarked, “Hey! People are walking down there! I didn’t know you could do that? How come we’re not doing that?!” I laughed. I keep forgetting that she never grew up near a place where this was a normal thing someone got to do all the time. I remember my times ‘beach combing’ in BC - at Sidney, BC near my great-grandparent’s house, White Rock beach at Odd-fellows Camp near Blaine, Washington where I used to love finding sand dollars and little sea anemones stuck in the craggy rock crevices that became revealed and accessible when the tide went out.

Back at the RV, we set up camp and relaxed a bit more. I worked on the blog entry from yesterday, along with this one.

Tomorrow we might leave here early and head up to Fredericton or Edmunston to cut down on the 8-hr drive we have to get to Quebec City area.

Stay tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Kelly’s Bake ShopKelly’s Bake Shop
Kelly’s Bake Shop

No frills, bare boned but divine smelling bakery where we bought some ‘synonym’ buns.
Enjoying our lunchEnjoying our lunch
Enjoying our lunch

Tides Restaurant lunch.
Parkland Village InnParkland Village Inn
Parkland Village Inn

With the Tides Restaurant we ordered from.
RV parkedRV parked
RV parked

This is where we parked the RV next to the hotel in this parking lot.
Shoreline cliffShoreline cliff
Shoreline cliff

Shelley snapped these photos from the cliff’s edge.
Open fieldsOpen fields
Open fields

Everything is so spacious and open.


Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb