Fredericton, New Brunswick 21 & 22 August 2016


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Fredericton
August 22nd 2016
Published: August 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Fredericton, New Brunswick 21 & 22 August 2016



We followed the St John river valley from Grand Falls all the way through to Fredericton. It was a beautiful drive through little villages and lots of farmland growing mainly oats, corn, lucern and fruit such as strawberries, raspberries, apples etc.



We arrived in Fredericton in the late afternoon, checked into our hotel and then walked into the town for dinner close to the local lighthouse.



Fredericton is the capital of New Brunswick and is located along the St. John River. It is the cultural, artistic and educational centre of the province.



The population of City of Fredericton is 50,000 (greater Fredericton 84,000). The city is situated in the west-central portion of the province and, along with Moncton and Saint John, is one of the main urban centres in Southern New Brunswick. The St. John River flows in a west-east direction, bisecting the city and providing the dominant natural feature for the municipality.



We are not hurrying in the mornings so at about 8.30am after packing the car (we are a well oiled machine now!!!) we drove into the main street to have a hearty breakfast at Coras.



After that, we visited the Historic Garrison District. The city is part of Colonial history and dynamic modern culture meet by the majestic St. John River. The day was pelting with rain when we were there so we did inside activities such as visiting the Guard House, Soldiers Barracks and Historical Museum. The Changing of the Guard was certainly not on the agenda.



We drove past Old Government House which was built in 1828, and is an important national and provincial historic site has been gloriously restored to its earlier splendour, and is the official residence and office to the Province's Lieutenant Governor.



Fredericton was only going to be a ‘quick-stop’ city so we then headed further south towards the southern coast of New Brunswick, St Stephen and St Andrew-on-the-Sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb