DAY 58-65: MAY 12-18, 2010


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Winnipeg
May 19th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

WEDNESDAY, MAY 12: DAY 59
We left Edmonton about 11:00 after a wonderful two days with Kirk and Debra Armstrong. We drove as far as Saskatoon where we stopped for the night after having lunch in Lloydminister. Our plan was to make it as far as Regina but the day was not long enough. It was very interesting to watch the changing landscape from the mountains in the western part of Alberta to the rolling hills and then the vastness of Saskatchewan. There was very little traffic on the roads and sometimes as far as the eye could see we would be the only car. Of course, this will change as soon as the holiday season arrives. But for us it is wonderful.

THURSDAY, MAY 13; DAY 60
We left Saskatoon early this morning (about 8:00, which is ealry for us). We visited with Jack MacKenzie in Regina, a long time friends of Kirk's from University of Toronto days in PHE. He had a nice lunch awaiting us on our arrival at 12:00. He took Kirk to visit the school that has been named after him in Regina. We left at 3:00 and our plan was to make it to Winnipeg but as life has it there were to be some changes.
As we drove along the Trans-Canada Kirk saw the sign to Moosamin and remembered his old friend Phil Schackelton, who co-authored the book The Canoe with Ken Robertson, and wondered if he still lived here. We found a phone book and sure enough he did. We then went to visit with Phil and Audrey on there very interesting farm. The two men caught up on the last twenty years. Phil was on the original baord of the museum in the early 80's. We talked with their crazy but beautiful parrots who kept us laughing." Audrey made us sandwiches for dinner and we stayed in Moosamin for the night at a smaill motel. What a wonderful visit it was with the Shackelton's hearing about all their exciting adventures since they moved from Ottawa to the West.

FRIDAY, MAY 14, DAY 61
We left early from Moosamin for Winnipeg and once again we had a change in plans. Inga Palson, Kirk's cousin invited us to come to Arborg, in the inter-lake region for the day to stay with her. We arrived in Arborg about 5:00pm and Inga had prepared a lovely chicken dinner and invited her daughter Laureen and her brother Arnum to join us. They were excited to see Kirk as it had been several years since he had seen them. They walked to-gether to the lake and watched some fishermen. Inga's house is on Lake Winnipeg.

SATURDAY, MAY 15; DAY 62
We had a wonderful day with Inga. We went to a quaint tea room in Gimili for lunch. Then we went on a memory walk and picture taking in town. We had been there several years before with David and Hazel and Karina so it was fun to retrace our steps. We said our good-byes to Inga in Gimili. It was all too short but we had a wonderful visit.
We arrived in Winnipeg to stay with Audrey and George Halawaty. Audrey is Inga's sister and of course, Kirk's first cousin. their father's were brothers.
Audrey invited her son Wade and his daughter for a wonderful pork tenderloin dinner to visit with us. We had lots of laughter and fun.It is always nice to meet the families and get to know them better.

SUNDAY, MAY 16; DAY 63
Susan (Audrey's daughter) and her daughters Jillian, Bailey and Joelle came for brunch. Once again it is always nice to get to know the children of our cousins.
We had a quiet day and the went out for dinner in the evening.

MONDAY, MAY 17, DAY 64
After making arrangement with Shopper's to pick up a week of Kirk's medication we left for home. We thought we would have been home by May 15 but with all the extra stops and time to just enjoy the trip we have added an extra week to our already long journey. All worked out and we were on our way by noon. It is always hard to say good-bye as we are not sure when we will see the cousins next but we enjoyed both families so much and felt blessed we were able to spend the time we did with Audrey and Inga.
We were able to drive as far as Dryden where we stopped for the night. It seemed like a long day but only because we got off to such a late start. So by 7:00 I was ready to stop.
Northern Ontario is so very beautiful. Large cuts of granite, lots of jack pine and having a sunny day of 25* made it all too perfect.

TUESDAY MAY 18, DAY 65
We left Dryden early and stopped for lunch at The Lake in the Woods. The lakes and once again the beauty of the north is so wonderful. it is a very isolated area (or so it seems at this time of the year) but beautiful. To-day we saw two moose standing by the side of the road. So i hit the brakes and backed-up and we had a few moments to enjoy the majesty of these huge animals and of course, take pictures.
We have stopped in Nipigon for the night. To-morrow we will make it as far as Sault St. Marie. It is about 6 hours driving (600km) If all goes as planned.
Then on Thursday we want to have lunch in Sudbury and then south. Who knows what we will do it is all such an adventure.
We plan on being home by Saturday.
We are both well. The driving has been great. Some days a bit tiring but nothing to complain about.
Until the next time which will wind up this exciting adventure.
Now I will try and add some pictures which I am not very good in doing.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.271s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb