Winnipeg, eh?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Winnipeg
September 21st 2001
Published: October 30th 2005
Edit Blog Post

An authentic Canadian postmanAn authentic Canadian postmanAn authentic Canadian postman

Just like Santa with a gift sack!
We spent most of our times at La Forche, or the Forks, where the Red River and Assiniboine River meet.

On Sunday, professor Gary Hightshoe invited all of us who are Catholic (or whoever being interested in) attending a mass at the St. Boniface church. This church looks like a ruin from England, with just its facade standing up, with a big hole where the rose window used to be. Instead of tearing it down or rebuilding it, they built a smaller scale chapel inside the church, where all of the mass attendees gathered and celebrated the holy ceremony. The most unique thing about this mass is that it was in French. French sounds like Greek to me, I don't speak either language, so we just sat there, looking around the people and waited until they stand up, then we stand up. At least I can say that I've been in my first French mass in Winnipeg, Canada.

Later that night, instead of being nice boys and girls, we ignored the drinking restriction rule given by the university. We're in Canada, being sophomore in college, and the drinking age up here is 18. Almost all the students went out to a local bar. The touching part about this experience was when the live bar singer asked us whether we were Americans, and after finding out that we were, as his symphaty for the 9-11, he dedicated "American Pie" song to us that night. The crowded bar went silent; while we were all hundling, singing the American Pie along with the band.

Symphaty from the Canadians toward Americans came from all over the place. On Monday, the Canadian Red Cross organized a "barber shop" philantrophy to raise money for the 9-11 victims at the Forks Market. As soon as they found out, once again, that we were Americans, they gave us small Canadian flag pins, with a white ribbon attached to it. It seems that they are genuine about their feelings toward Americans, which ironically, 180 degrees from us toward them. I have more respect towards Canadian now, they have proven themselves to be a friend to Americans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

La ForcheLa Forche
La Forche

The Forks, Winnipeg.
Before went out to a barBefore went out to a bar
Before went out to a bar

L-R: Kelly, Carter, Rachel, Weet, Lara, Jason, me, Carrie, Sandy.


22nd May 2006

winnipeg manitoba hotels
http://www.therivers1.com/

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb