Greetings from the subarctic!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
July 13th 2017
Published: July 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Hudson Bay!

Today I arrived at the Churchill Northern Science Center in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada and I wanted to check in briefly before we get on with our program tonight. I flew in this morning from Winnipeg and it was interesting to see the terrain change from heavily wooded to the tundra. At the airport we were all picked up and taken here to our dorm/classrooms/everything we will need for the next couple of days. On the way in we saw a sandhill crane (no pics sorry) as well as a lot of Canada geese - or as they say here - geese - and their babies. Had my first mosquito bite shortly after arrival, so all is going as expected. It is a spectacular facility surrounded with water, puny but pretty trees and so far, clear skies. We aren't allowed to leave facility though as polar bears have been sighted in the area - like legit we might see a polar bear while here! We have to be sequestered inside as they aren't to be trifled with as you can imagine.

I've come here to see the belugas in the bay, and we will be heading out to see them tomorrow on the water. Each night we'll have lectures about the beluga, the ecology of the area, local native populations and their stories. What a lively bunch of people on the tour! All of us are at least in our 40s (I'm there soon enough so I count), and we are all here just to see and experience the beauty of the area, so am expecting a wonderful time! Will upload pics in the coming days.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1008.8kb