Grizzly Bear Ranch - Wednesday


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
May 17th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday - we go to a viewpoint on the Lardea river - biggest rainbow trout in world called Gerard RainbowTrout. They are huge, apparently up to 1.5 metres in length and up to 30lb in weight. It is illegal to fish on this part of the river as they are protected. We carry on to Trout Lake and go on motorised zodiacs. Julius takes me and Ian and asks are we up for some fun, he has us bouncing, hitting the swell and these aren't the big Zodiacs with benches what we went on for whale watching, these are little motorised dinghies that you actually sit on the inflated bit on the edge holding on to whatever you can find to hold on to. We land and light a campfire on a little pebble beach and have a picnic lunch. On the long drive back to the ranch we see a Mum and cub at the side of the road but they hide from us as soon as we get out of the car. We then see a big male crossing the road bridge at Trout Lake city, he was smelling and licking scat (bear poo) so we know he was definitely a male. We got out of the car and followed him at a distance of 30 foot. He was a really cool bear and was not bothered by our presence but eventually he turns off the path and walks into the bush. We then saw a brown black bear but this one was very timid and hid in the bushes. After dinner returning to our cabin Ian saw a black blob moving at the back of the garden behind the cabins. At 437 am I got up to go to toilet and there was the bear sat outside our bathroom window munching on the grass. We got a few pics through the window but by the time Ian threw some clothes on planning to go out to get some pics from the verandah he wandered off into the forest. We are setting our alarm for 330am tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb