A Walk in the Park


Advertisement
Published: May 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

View from our room as the sun went down.
What a glorious day, bright sunshine and clear blues skies! But what shall we do? We did everything there is to do in Stewart and Hyder the day before, so after careful consideration, we walked across the street to Silverado Café for a yummy breakfast of French toast. Taking a seat by the window, we were able to watch the happenings of Stewart, and that would be a few people riding past on their bikes or cruising back and forth aimlessly in their cars.

I guess with not too much to do in Stewart repeated drive bys were the highlight of the day! Admiringly though, the town folk do like to walk or use bikes to get around, even the old and frail. Perhaps we could take a leaf out of their books, well if we lived there that is, which I must say I would enjoy.

Stewart we found is a lovely sleepy uncomplicated small town and the locals are extremely open, warm and friendly. We found they delighted in having some tourists around, and would bend over backwards for us particularly when they found out we were thoroughly enjoying ourselves there.

Following breakfast we walked back
SunsetSunsetSunset

View from our room as the sun went down.
across the street and took a walk on the boardwalk over the estuary. This was built in honour of 26 men who died in a mining accident back in the 60’s. In the lovely peacefulness of the surroundings all we could hear was the constant birdsong. There were so many of them, along with the honking of the Canadian Geese also residing on the mud flats. It sounded so beautiful, particularly as the birds, not sure what ones, had such a lovely chirp!

After killing about 45 minutes on the boardwalk we headed back across the street and down to the little playground. Inside the playground were some swings which I dashed to immediately, and swung back and forth getting higher and higher and higher. No fear! Gail took some pictures before joining me, and we squealed with delight at being kids again - albeit young at heart middle aged ones!!! It was great swinging back and forth taking in the mountains before us and the freshest air you could inhale. Next I sat on the little rocking horse, but I didn’t fancy rocking back and forth to exuberantly in case I pitched myself off!

We then stopped
The BoardwalkThe BoardwalkThe Boardwalk

Entrance to the boardwalk.
at a little shop to buy some fruit before heading back to the hotel. We sat in the lounge upstairs, which had enormous windows overlooking the estuary, and started to catch up with the blogs which we were falling behind with. It was good just to spend a day idling around not doing too much but enjoying the scenery and chillin. We even watched Oprah!

Talking to one of the local ladies, she said there had been bear spotted up at Fish Creek, across the border in Hyder, yesterday. We must have missed them! So, we decided to drive up there before dinner to have a look. Perhaps they might be out again? When we arrived there was no sign of bears, so we hopped out of the car with our bear bells in hand ringing furiously to warn any bears lurking behind a tree ready to pounce that we were in the area. With all the snow around and bells ringing, it could have been Christmas! Near to where we parked Gail spotted some animal footprints in the snow. On closer inspection they were fairly large, but not bear tracks. It was a Felis Concolor - in other
The BoardwalkThe BoardwalkThe Boardwalk

Ripley Creek Inn from the boardwalk.
words, a mountain lion (they weren't dog tracks as there were no claw marks)! Wow, were they fresh tracks, was he nearby watching from the safety of a rock, was he about to pounce? These questions mulled through our minds, but I’m sure the tracks weren’t fresh and there was no fresh scat (animal poop) nearby. Not being ones to take chances in the middle of nowhere, we decided against crawling through three foot high snow in order to get onto the Fish Creek boardwalk to look for bears should there be a mountain lion lurking in the vicinity. It’s not like we could dash quickly back to the car through such high snow with swiftness or finesse!

Returning to the Silverado Café, we ordered dinner. There was quite a crowd in for dinner, all of which were sitting on the upper level watching TV. I guess it was a sports station, as the whole time it took to order and eat our food, there was an interview with some sports person lamenting the fact that his team lost. Now surely this could have been edited down to - ‘okay we lost, we played bad/we did our best, next
The BoardwalkThe BoardwalkThe Boardwalk

The estuary and its flora.
time we’ll try harder?’ Noooooooooooooooo! Instead it was an hour long dialogue about the game and quite frankly it sounded like a load of drivel! Even the guy being interviewed was having trouble trying to think up a 100 different ways to say we lost!

Enter bearded man! Yeap, a guy came in the café with a huge long beard and long hair looking very much like a man in the wilds. Have to write about an observation we’ve noted whilst being in Canada. Never have we seen so many guys with beards, and we’re not talking about nice little trimmed beards or goatees. We’re talking big bushy bushman beards. Unkempt, wild, long, full facial, hair with no doubt resident critters living rent free! Never seen anything like it!

We retired early and I read a book while Gail did a blog and then watched ‘What Women Want’ - happened to notice it did not say anything about women wanting these caveman beards!



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The BoardwalkThe Boardwalk
The Boardwalk

Tree stumps left adrift on the mud flats.
The BoardwalkThe Boardwalk
The Boardwalk

Nearby mountains from the boardwalk.
The BoardwalkThe Boardwalk
The Boardwalk

Reflecting on the magnificent scenery!
PlaygroundPlayground
Playground

Gail taking flight!
PlaygroundPlayground
Playground

Learn how to swing in 16 easy steps!
PlaygroundPlayground
Playground

It's as easy as it looks!
PlaygroundPlayground
Playground

Does my butt look big in this?
Stewart Fire HydrantsStewart Fire Hydrants
Stewart Fire Hydrants

Aren't they cute?
Stewart Fire HydrantsStewart Fire Hydrants
Stewart Fire Hydrants

Little golfing girl.
Stewart Stewart
Stewart

Ripley Creek Inn again.
Stewart Stewart
Stewart

Ripley Creek Inn again in B&W.
Stewart Stewart
Stewart

Ripley Creek Inn again in Sepia for that old time feel - which do you prefer?
Fish CreekFish Creek
Fish Creek

Felis Concolor - Mountain Lion tracks!!!
Fish CreekFish Creek
Fish Creek

Big puddycat prints!!!
StewartStewart
Stewart

Logs bound for Korea at sunset.
StewartStewart
Stewart

Redundant boat.
Ripley Creek InnRipley Creek Inn
Ripley Creek Inn

View out over estuary in the evening from the common sitting area.
Ripley Creek InnRipley Creek Inn
Ripley Creek Inn

The upper hallway.


8th May 2006

Swinging Chicks
Well its good to see you both have not lost the art of being grown ups lol. I must say you are both very brave, if someone said they saw a bear in one place, I would be going in the opposite direction. Your pictures say a lot for your bravery, cos they are great. Liisa I want a camera like yours, cos you two look fantastic; Naomi and Claudia move over.... Love Px.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb