Scenic Beauties: Vancouver, BC to San Francisco, CA on Regatta, Oceania ship


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
September 25th 2018
Published: September 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Monday, September 24, 2018

San Francisco to Vancouver



Deciding to stay at the ALOFT in Millbrae was a brilliant move. Rather than waking in the middle of the night to catch our 10am flight we were able to "sleep in" and take the shuttle from the hotel to SFO. Easy peasy. After a quick breakfast at the Centurion Lounge (Thank you American Express and Daniel Patterson) we boarded our flight for the quick (less than 2 hours) trip to Vancouver, BC. I read (The Loving Husband, by Christobel Kent). Christopher watched Absolutely Fabulous (for the umteenth time...pilot to the series not the movie).

Flight was smooth as silk and over before we knew it. Arriving in Vancouver is a treat. Beautiful Airport; easy customs - BE READY...because the long line moves startlingly fast. That's a good thing in my book. We decided to take the Canada Line from the airport to the Waterfront. Fast. Easy. Economical. We are staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel @ Canada Place. We came out of the transit stop on the wrong side (my bad) so had to schlep on the streets with our luggage up and down stairs before we finally made it to the hotel...we noticed the transit exit just steps from our hotel later in the day. Mental Note taken.

We were greeted by the VERY friendly staff of the hotel (Canadians are so nice) and proceeded to the Lobby to check in. Christopher had been travelling with his previous frim weekly from Chicago to San Francisco, and staying at the Omni (a Discovery Loyalty Hotel...as is the Pan Pacific) - SO....upon check-in we were chatty and nice with woman behind the counter...which paid off, in spades! She quietly, under her breath, said "oh you are a Discovery Member...OH...let's see what we can do for you". Now, there are Upgrades and there are UPGRADES - we received the latter! Harbor View Suite. We reserved a King room and received a HARBOR VIEW SUITE! We can see the Lion's Gate Bridge, the cruise terminal, West Van AND the glorious Canadian Coastal Range out the window. BLISS.

We settled into our "suite": living room VERY SPACIOUS "ensuite bathroom" ... one of 2 "washrooms" and a very comfortable mini walk-in closet...YES...we scored! Unpacked(somewhat) for our brief stay and went out to explore Vancouver and grab a pick-me-up prior to joining the Preovolos Clan for dinner in New Westminster.

Sated, we walked a bit, did some window shopping and it was time to catch the train (Expo Line) to New West - Columbia stop. Darren picked us up and we were off to Queens Park (a POSH neighborhood in New West).

We brought with us a bottle of Rose Prosecco, which the four of us made short work of in no time. We all DO like our wine! A few nibbles (all very Italian - appropriate for our libation, and dinner) and then the family arrived,in dribs and drabs - people came, people left. Chaos about covers it. To be expected with 2 6-year olds and 2 9-year olds as well as grandparents and aunt and uncle - soccer practice, Tai Quan Do practice, Greek School...I'm exhausted just writing it! Doors flew open and slammed shut with regularity. I couldn't keep up, so I drank some more wine (all BC wines which were stunningly grand).

Dinner was a chance for the adults to catch up - even though 2 of the adults ate in shifts, off to soccer practice, back from Greek School - we all, at some point were around the table together and chatted. Reminisced about past travels to BC, Family gatherings weddings and sadly, divorce and death. No subject spared (no former-in-law spared either). The food was wonderful (Spaghetti Bolognese, Cesar Salad, Olive bread, fresh fruit and a homemade spanakopita...BLESS YOU Irene!) BRILLIANT. Well Done Maria!! The house looked as if a battle had been waged...and we were the vanquished...perhaps close, but we who dined so well saluted our hosts (Maria & Darren).

Nick offered us a ride back to the Expo line where we caught the train back into town. SO EASY! We walked the few blocks to our hotel and collapsed. A long thoroughly enjoyable day filled with amazing food, great company, loving family and amazing views.

Advertisement



25th September 2018

What a thoroughly delicious description of the daily happenings. I'm salivating already....can you tell there's an epicurean theme to my responses as well as your tasty blog? Can't wait for installment 2. Cheers to you both!
Oops...put the comment in the title box.....for shame.....

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb