Life goes on in Williams Lake


Advertisement
Published: June 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Happy 65th Birthday!Happy 65th Birthday!Happy 65th Birthday!

Here we are out for dinner at the Hills Health Ranch. Snowing and blowing outside but warm and cosy inside.
It’s hard to get my brain around our Christmas activities since it is now June! Our first Canadian Christmas since 2007 was very exciting. We got to see all our children and grandchildren for a few days around Christmas itself and also to visit Dianne’s family in Alberta.

We had driven to Mission to visit our daughter and her family then flew to Calgary to visit the Alberta relatives. We arrived back at close to midnight to discover they had freezing rain that evening. Hmmmm. The trunk was frozen shut as were the back and side doors. Luckily, I was able to get driver’s door open and we could climb in after pushing the suitcases into the back seat through the window. Good thing we travel light. Our suitcases for China wouldn’t have made it.

Dianne’s Big Day

Dianne’s birthday was a Friday this year and we took off after school to drive to Hills Health Ranch at 108 Mile. We were really looking forward to a day of dog sledding. It didn’t look good though as there was virtually no snow. Sure enough, when we got there we discovered it had been cancelled. We could have gone
Snow GirlSnow GirlSnow Girl

It was magical walking around in the snow. Big fluffy flakes and no wind.
home, but decided to spend a leisurely weekend hiking and enjoying the time away from school and computers.

But then it started to snow. And snow. By Saturday afternoon there was plenty of snow for dog sledding but it was too late to get a commercial outfit to bring out a team. Local dog sledders had their dogs out and it was fun to see them whizzing up and down the trails. We rented cross country skis and spent a few hours enjoying the new snow.

Despite the disappointment of the cancelled sledding it was still a pleasant weekend.

Other trips

Another benefit of being back in Canada was being able to spend Spring Break with family. It’s only two weeks but that’s plenty to drive south to see family. The time went by so quickly. But we did get a bunch of stuff sorted out in our newly renovated place and we are now ready to do some serious weeding out of extra stuff.

Dianne got a four day weekend around Easter. We decided to take a couple of extra days and drive through the mountains to Alberta to celebrate Dianne’s Mother’s 94th birthday.
The Mad HatterThe Mad HatterThe Mad Hatter

When I bought this Russian hat in Harbin, China I never expected to need it in Canada. It turned out to be very useful here during our short cold snap this winter.
It’s always a gamble driving through the mountains in winter but the forecast was good so we took a chance.

The drive there was fantastic and the visit a great success. All too soon it was over and it was time to head back to WL. We drove in sunshine with bare roads to Golden where we stopped for the night. It was early and we could have pushed through to Revelstoke but decided to take it easy and have a nice dinner and walk around the town. We felt it would be better to drive the Roger’s Pass in the daylight. This may have been a mistake because we woke up to news that the highway through the pass was closed for avalanche control. It was scheduled to open at 1 PM and finally did at 3 PM. Had we pushed through the previous night we would have been home free. Sigh.

We did manage to spend a nice day walking around the town and visited the library. The lineup of trucks and cars waiting to go through the pass was truly unbelievable. We drove around until we found a spot to park and were astounded how
Ski GirlSki GirlSki Girl

The skiing was fabulous. I don't miss snow (Dianne does) but when the skiing is as nice as it was that day we might just have to take it up again.
easily we got out of town when they finally opened the highway.

Back home in WL

This is cowboy country and the first event was the Annual Indoor Rodeo. I didn’t know you could do this sort of thing indoors. But it’s a big deal up here. Lots of horses and other livestock. You have to watch where you walk.

The school puts on an ethnic dinner each year as a fund raiser. This year it was a Bavarian Bash. Dianne and I worked as servers for the dinner so we didn’t get much time to relax but it was still lots of fun. As all fund raisers do, they had a silent and live auction. Various groups made up baskets to be bid on and some people put in services they will provide the successful bidder. Before the dinner, some of the staff were sitting around talking about what “we” could offer. I related a story I had heard about a non-Dinner where you paid $50.00 but didn’t have to go. I said I would offer an Evening You Don’t Have to Spend with Peter. One of the teachers suggested Dianne would bid a lot on
No rest for the wickedNo rest for the wickedNo rest for the wicked

This is definitely something we didn't miss in China. Luckily I had the winter jacket I bought for visiting the Harbin Ice Festival. Why can't the snow fall on the trails and leave the roads open?
that one. And these are my ‘friends’.

What now?

As I write this we have three weeks of school left. We get emails from our friends in China talking about the excitement (and stress) of packing up to return to Canada. It seems unreal that a year ago we were packing up then too. It’s a bit easier here. We just rent a trailer, back it up to the apartment and load it up. The tricky bit? Where is it going?

To be continued….


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

The snow was starting to accumulate during our first evening. Sure made a nice view from the deck of our chalet.
Dog TransportDog Transport
Dog Transport

I had never seen a truck for carrying a dog team. Each member of the team gets his (her?) own room
Getting ready Getting ready
Getting ready

It's quite a production getting the dogs hooked up. The team and sled are securely tied to the truck because as soon as they are untied, they're off!
Ready to RockReady to Rock
Ready to Rock

Not all the dogs wait so patiently to start. Once they start running, it is quite a job to get them to stop. They love to run.
Spring Break FunSpring Break Fun
Spring Break Fun

Dianne doesn't get enough of kids and crafts at school. Three of the younger grandchildren enjoy time with Grandma.
Great GrandmaGreat Grandma
Great Grandma

We were very happy to celebrate with Dianne's family. Despite her position in this picture, she is the rose between two thorns. Dale (right) and I "celebrated" the 50th anniversary of our high school grad this month.
Stunning sceneryStunning scenery
Stunning scenery

We never get enough of the mountain scenery on the drive through British Columbia.
Avalanche control?Avalanche control?
Avalanche control?

Looking at these bare roads it is hard to believe we were held up for almost a full day because of the danger of avalanches.
More mountainsMore mountains
More mountains

Not bad for a picture taken through the windshield at 110 kmh! Avalanches? What avalanches?
TrucksTrucks
Trucks

We couldn't believe how many trucks could be lined up in such a small area. We also couldn't believe how easily we got out of town. I am sure not everybody was so lucky. Can you imagine trying to pass them all?
Williams Lake Indoor StampedeWilliams Lake Indoor Stampede
Williams Lake Indoor Stampede

It's a big deal. But not as big as the outdoor stampede held at the beginning of July. We thought we knew about Stampedes, having grown up in Calgary. But we had never lived in a cowboy community before. Here it is a Big Deal.
LivestockLivestock
Livestock

The stampede is held in the Memorial Complex which is "downtown" (and less than 5 minutes from our apartment). They have to truck all the animals in each day. Quite a feat!
Horsing aroundHorsing around
Horsing around

Lots of of cowboys and cowgirls in attendance. And inside!
South end of a northbound horseSouth end of a northbound horse
South end of a northbound horse

You really had to watch where you walked. The day after the three day event it was hard to tell it had been there at all. Except for a slight lingering odor.
Howdy Partner!Howdy Partner!
Howdy Partner!

We loved to take pictures of kids in China and here it is no different. This little guy was a natural.
Memories of ChinaMemories of China
Memories of China

We saw lots of inflatables in China. This one brought back memories, especially the power cords snaking across the floor.
Scout IslandScout Island
Scout Island

On one of our hikes on Fox Mountain, we got a good view of the island on the western end of Williams Lake. It's a short walk from our apartment and a nice trip in itself.
DetourDetour
Detour

On one of our excursions out of town, we came to a detour. Must have been a washout somewhere. We were amused to discover they just took down a fence and we all drove through some rancher's field.
The Rudy Johnson bridgeThe Rudy Johnson bridge
The Rudy Johnson bridge

This bridge appears out of nowhere on what seems like a back road. It definitely cut miles (or kilometers) off the trip to WL.


Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb