Whistler BC part 2 of 2 - Whistler-Blackcomb resort


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Whistler
July 19th 2015
Published: July 28th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Legendary Whistler Blackcomb is widely regarded as one of the top four-season resorts in North America. The resort appears regularly in "Best of" lists from around the globe not only for its skiing & snowboarding, but also for its hotels, restaurants and golf courses. Whistler has been voted among the top destinations in North America by major ski magazines since the mid-1990s. Whistler became even more world-renowned after it was the site of the alpine & Nordic venues for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Winter Games. Over two million people visit Whistler annually, primarily for alpine skiing and snowboarding in the winter, & mountain biking on Whistler Blackcomb mountains in the summer.

History:
Until the 1960s, this quiet area was without basic infrastructure, ie no sewage facilities, water, or electricity, and no road from Squamish or Vancouver. In 1962, four Vancouver businessmen began to explore the area with the intent of building a ski resort in order to bid for the 1968 Winter Olympics. The Garibaldi Lift Company was formed, shares were sold, and in 1966, Whistler Mountain opened to the public. Later, the town, then still called Alpha Lake, was offered the 1976 Winter Olympics after selected host city Denver declined the games due to funding issues. Alpha Lake Whistler declined as well, after elections ushered in a local government less enthusiastic about the Olympics. The 1976 Winter Olympics were ultimately held in Innsbruck, Austria.

Whistler did become the Host Mountain Resort for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympic Games, the first time the IOC has bestowed that designation on a community. Whistler hosted the alpine technical and speed events, the sliding events, the Nordic events, and all the Paralympic events except the opening ceremonies, sledge hockey and wheelchair curling. The Whistler Olympic and Paralympic Village (commonly referred to as the Athlete's village) housed around 2,400 athletes, coaches, trainers and officials. Post-games, the site has been turned into a new residential neighbourhood Cheakamus Crossing.

Getting there:
Whistler is located on British Columbia Highway 99, also known as the "Sea-to-Sky highway", approximately 58 kilometres (36 mi) north of Squamish, and 125 km (76 mi) north of Vancouver. (The Sea to Sky Highway stretches from the Peace Arch Border Crossing in Surrey to the Cariboo Highway (Highway 97) 10 kms north of Cache Creek.) Elite-class rail service is provided between the Whistler railway station and North Vancouver
Inukshuk at the visitor centerInukshuk at the visitor centerInukshuk at the visitor center

An Inikshuk is rocks piled up to look like a person from a distance. These were first used as a marker or guidepost by the Inuit.
by the Whistler Mountaineer. Regular passenger schedules are no longer available. Rail service through to Jasper is provided by the Rocky Mountaineer, using Canadian National Railway tracks from North Vancouver via Whistler and Prince George.

Useful links:
http://www.hellobc.com/whistler.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistler,_British_Columbia

www.whistlerblackcomb.com

https://www.facebook.com/whistlerblackcomb


Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Visitor CenterVisitor Center
Visitor Center

in swapped RGB channels
Wishbones & Wishes sculptureWishbones & Wishes sculpture
Wishbones & Wishes sculpture

in the village square
TOWN PLAZA - Whistler VillageTOWN PLAZA - Whistler Village
TOWN PLAZA - Whistler Village

Crystal Lodge & Suites in the background. http://www.whistler.com/accommodation/crystal-lodge-and-suites/

Eagle Lodge?Eagle Lodge?
Eagle Lodge?

http://www.ownerdirect.com/vacation-rental-community/whistler/eagle-lodge
Sundial HotelSundial Hotel
Sundial Hotel

http://www.sundialhotel.com/
Deer LodgeDeer Lodge
Deer Lodge

http://www.ownerdirect.com/vacation-rental-community/whistler/deer-lodge
Whistler Village totem poleWhistler Village totem pole
Whistler Village totem pole

The pedestrianized village has won numerous design awards. Blending the charm of an alpine village with the amenities of an urban centre, the Village offers fine dining, vibrant nightlife, eclectic boutiques, revitalising spas and luxurious hotels. The Village, with more than 200 shops, is a shopper's paradise.
Fairmont Chateau WhistlerFairmont Chateau Whistler
Fairmont Chateau Whistler

The luxury 550-room Fairmont Chateau Whistler resort is located at the base of Blackcomb Mountain. http://www.fairmont.com/whistler/
Whistler Public Library (pl)Whistler Public Library (pl)
Whistler Public Library (pl)

Founded in 1986, the Whistler Public Library, also known as Whistler’s Living Room, is housed in an environmentally efficient, award-winning building in the heart of Whistler Village.
OLYMPIC VILLAGEOLYMPIC VILLAGE
OLYMPIC VILLAGE

During the 2010 Winter Olympics, Whistler hosted most of the alpine, Nordic, luge, skeleton, and bobsled events, though freestyle skiing and all snowboarding events were hosted at Cypress Mountain near Vancouver.
Olympic rings, Olympic PlazaOlympic rings, Olympic Plaza
Olympic rings, Olympic Plaza

with Olympic Plaza in the background. The plaza, an open-air performance space & park was the location of the nightly victory ceremonies & concerts during the Vancouver 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Winter Games.


1st August 2015

Thanks for the article on Whistler.
Whistler is one place I would love to go some day. I love the Fairmont Chateau Whistler and the village. The village looks very picturesque.

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb