Now hear this!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vernon
September 1st 2014
Published: September 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Mountain travelsMountain travelsMountain travels

One really can't get too much mountain scenery on the trip from Vernon to Alberta.
This is the 5thAnnual Announcement of the Beginning of Dianne’s Last Year in the Work Force. This MAY actually be the last year as she has been planning activities in 2015, 2016 and even 2017. And they don’t include school. Detail plans will be developed for our Cross Canada trip, our (last?) European trip and a driving trip to the States to visit friends we met in China. Maybe Dianne will decide to work another year to pay for these trips?

To practice her travel planning skills, Dianne just booked a week-long trip to Cuba for Spring Break, 2015. I did notice that this didn't interfere with her working so it isn't conclusive proof that the end is in sight.

Marguerite Christensen

This April, just after celebrating her 96th birthday, Dianne’s mother died peacefully in her sleep. She had been gradually slowing down over the last few years and she was ready to go. The Celebration of Life was held in Carstairs where Dale and Pat live. It was attended by many family members and friends from many parts of her life. It was a fabulous celebration. Her children, their spouses and her grandchildren told “Grandma” stories that
1918-20141918-20141918-2014

A great lady
were funny, heart-warming and, for the most part, true. One of the high-lights was the four oldest grandsons re-forming their quartet from over 20 years ago to sing a couple of songs. Marguerite would have been so proud of them.

Chris Christensen

Dianne’s dad was pretty sad to lose his partner of over 72 years but he continues to take each day as it comes and is his old, cheerful self. I have rarely heard him complain but during one visit he complained! “All my life I have been able to help people, but now I can’t”. Some complaint. Then he added: “But there are people here who have nobody so I can talk to them and be their friend”. And he still plays a pretty sharp game of shuffle board.

Travels

This is supposed to be a travel blog so I will mention that this year has seen us on the road a lot. Four driving trips to Alberta; two around the funeral, one to celebrate Dianne’s brother, Dale’s 70th birthday (the family had planned a surprise party and they pulled it off) and the usual summer visit.

Not to let Alberta get the
Dianne's DadDianne's DadDianne's Dad

We shared a picnic at Red Lodge park, the site of many Christensen family picnics in the early days.
upper hand, we also spent Spring Break and Easter on Pender with lots of family members. We even squeezed in a trip to Harrison Hot Springs which, although it was a work function for Dianne, was still pretty nice,

Of course, we spent most of the summer on Pender Island where Dianne and I spent the first week unpacking some boxes that had not seen the light of day since we were packing to go to China. We gave a lot of stuff to the Nu-To-Yu on Pender and brought back another bunch of boxes to give to the CWL and Knights of Columbus, two groups in our Church that provide a lot of support to the school. We can actually move in our storage area now.

Cousins Week

Summer wouldn't be summer without Cousins Week. Our 6 grandchildren joined us for 7 days of beach combing, arts and crafts and swimming in the lake. The combination of paintings and sculptures made from shells, driftwood and other beach combing treasures generated over 110 items for the annual art show. The high light (for proud grandparents) came when we took them out for dinner at the Browning Harbour
Celebration of Marguerite's lifeCelebration of Marguerite's lifeCelebration of Marguerite's life

Derek, Russell, Stephen and Keith regrouped to sing a couple of songs in Grandma's memory. They were great! I have video if you want to see it.
Café on the last night. As we were leaving, the server told us these kids were the best behaved family she had ever seen. And that was before Jamie (who else?) told her she was a really good server. Considering the fact that his parents own a fine dining restaurant, he would know.

And, yes, Grandma and Grandpa slept on foam mattresses on the living floor, AGAIN.

Kayaking

We had lots of company this year but still managed a few days on the water (Yes, Derek, we had one fabulous day). One day we caught an early ferry and went over to Galiano Island. Not that far by ferry but a fair paddle. Prophetically, the ferry worker on Pender looked at our kayaks and said “What’s the matter? Don’t you trust us? You brought your own boats!”

We had never driven the length of the island so before heading to the Marine Park we drove up to the north end of this long thin island. I knew there was Reserve land at this end of the island and expected I would see a sign telling us the road was private. I had sort of lost track
Speaking of regroupingSpeaking of regroupingSpeaking of regrouping

Eight of the nine grandchildren were able to make the Celebration of Life. Interesting to compare the line-up to the originals from sooooo many years ago.
of how far we had gone and was enjoying the scenery when I suddenly realized there was no sign, just a chain across the road. Dead end. Luckily, Dianne also noticed this and the brakes worked well. We had a slight rearrangement of the contents of the back seat and, for that matter, anything that wasn't tied down. But no damage done.

The paddling around the west side of the island was great. We circumnavigated several small islands and in the later afternoon paddled up the side of the main island, enjoying the rocky cliffs. It was a shame to head back to the ferry.

Especially when we got there and found the ferry hadn't even left Vancouver and we were an hour early. I guess the ferry worker on Pender was right; we should have taken our own boats. Quite a wait, but we always travel with novels so we bought coffee and dessert and waited it out. It was after midnight when we finally got to bed but it had been another successful paddle. Forgot to mention that our car was the ONLY one in the ferry terminal!

Vernon

Since we will be here
Taking the plungeTaking the plungeTaking the plunge

The girls really enjoyed the lake this summer. It's great now that everyone can swim.
for a second year, we resolved to do a bit more local sight-seeing. After returning from our usual summer trip to Alberta, we loaded up Big Red and headed south. We hadn't brought our camping stuff from Pender but we figured we could sleep in the back of the truck. It worked great. Our one burner kayak camping stove worked like a champ too. We had so much fun (Dianne tells me) that we are going for two nights in mid-September.

We also followed our niece, Lara’s, suggestion to visit the Myra Canyon and its train trestles. Well worth the trip. We did a 12 km hike and saw 13 of the trestles up close. Some of the views are spectacular. Lots of families, lots of bikes and lots of fun. Chatted with some really nice people.

School Year

Seems funny actually doing a second year in the same place. No packing, no searching for a new apartment. This year will be a bit different for Dianne. She has passed some administrative tasks on to the Vice Principal and will be teaching Grade 2 every afternoon. I get the same set of tasks that I had last
Who says men can't multitask?Who says men can't multitask?Who says men can't multitask?

Kyle and Jamie played dress-up and Bocce and took some photographs while they were doing it!
year: IT support, shredding, recycling etc. School enrolment is up so that is a good thing. Being an independent school, St James is not affected by the labour disruption in the public system. It will be good to see all the kids again.

What next?

As mentioned at the beginning, travel plans are being cranked up a notch. Cuba is the practice run and we hope to do more travelling once this pesky job business is finished. So… To Be Continued…


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Cousins for everCousins for ever
Cousins for ever

The annual picture on the rock at Craddock Road Beach.
Production centreProduction centre
Production centre

Two tables: no waiting. Lots of room for painting. We had fabulous weather so almost everything was outside.
Canvas the neighborhoodCanvas the neighborhood
Canvas the neighborhood

The artists display their official canvases at the art show.
BreathlessBreathless
Breathless

Jada has turned into quite the fish. She turned 4 just before the kids came to Pender. She is determined to keep up to everyone else. The pool at poet's Cove is sure nice.
More MountainsMore Mountains
More Mountains

I said you can't get too much mountain scenery. I have more pictures if you want them!
Kelowna Japanese GardensKelowna Japanese Gardens
Kelowna Japanese Gardens

On one of our day trips to Kelowna, we visited the Japanese Gardens. A quiet refuge in the middle of a busy city.
Harrison Hot SpringsHarrison Hot Springs
Harrison Hot Springs

Our room with a view.
More Harrison Hot SpringsMore Harrison Hot Springs
More Harrison Hot Springs

Dianne chats up the locals.
Fintry ParkFintry Park
Fintry Park

You can drive all the way around Lake Okanagan in an interesting day trip. Here we are visiting the falls that were harnessed by the early settlers to generate their own power.
Fintry SignageFintry Signage
Fintry Signage

There are lots of great signs describing how the early settlers developed the area.
Gray Monk WineryGray Monk Winery
Gray Monk Winery

We have managed to visit 2 of the local wineries. There are over 200 in the Okanagan. We may not get to visit them all.
Mabel LakeMabel Lake
Mabel Lake

This picture doesn't do justice to beautiful Mabel Lake but I loved the sign.
More signsMore signs
More signs

If we can take pictures of funny signs in China, we can take them in Canada too.
A whale of a timeA whale of a time
A whale of a time

One of our favourite walks on Pender Island is to Thieves Bay. On one trip we noticed many boats gathering, a sure sign the whales were coming. They put on a great show!
Day's end on GalianoDay's end on Galiano
Day's end on Galiano

We were packing up to head to the ferry on Galiano when Dianne managed to get this shot. Little did we know we could have stayed for more sundown shots.
Will we be able to get on the ferry?Will we be able to get on the ferry?
Will we be able to get on the ferry?

Not only was it over a hour late but we were the only car that wanted to get on! We did get a nice dessert from a cafe near the terminal.
RenovationsRenovations
Renovations

For those of you who were wondering if the renovations were finished: not quite. The latest development is the replacement of the deck and railing with new deck and glass inserts. Very nice.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb