UBC


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 6th 2016
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

House PostHouse PostHouse Post

Impressive.
Geo: 49.2605, -123.114

Had to be in work mode this afternoon when I paid a visit to the President's Office at the University of British Columbia.

Bur first a bit of culture. I have chosen a significant day to visit the University because in the morning, they held a dedication ceremony of a House Post of the Musqueam people, whose land (unceded) the University is built on. This was not the raising of a totem pole, but a dedication of a House Post. They were most insistent that this was what it was. The post was carved by a student of the Musqueam heritage and comes from a long line of talented artists. The actual dedication act was very low key and personal. Of course, there were speeches, from representatives of the University as well as from elders and council members of the Musqueam people. One very nice tradition is that the person does not talk about his/her own work when the work is being appreciated. So the carver, Brendan, stood beside his cousin while the cousin spoke about the story which inspired the carving, interjected with lots of jokes. It was fascinating.

Then I met up with my friend who works in the Uni and she gave me a tour of some parts of the enormous campus. Honestly, it was enormous! More like a small town than a campus. Oh, almost forgot, I was at the western-most point of mainland Canada. So that was special, too. We ate lunch on campus. Not in the student refectory, but in a rather smart restaurant. The food was delicious and the vegetables came from the farm on campus! Can't help having a bit of campus envy...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

The PeopleThe People
The People

A bit about their history. The names are a bit difficult to read unless you know the International Phonetic Alphabet well...
The oldest building in UBCThe oldest building in UBC
The oldest building in UBC

Now incorporated into one of several libraries of the University.
The BookstoreThe Bookstore
The Bookstore

Look at the size of the place!
The Asian CentreThe Asian Centre
The Asian Centre

With a small Japanese garden.
LunchLunch
Lunch

Starter of Beetroot Falafel
Main courseMain course
Main course

Super fresh halibut with pumpkin sauce is and very localised vegetables. Nothing like that at London Met. Sigh....
Wooden figure...Wooden figure...
Wooden figure...

outside the Museum of Anthropology. Yes, they have a museum on campus. The carving was done by the mother of Brandan who carved the House Post.
Dusk Dusk
Dusk

Looking towards the North Mountains.


7th April 2016

How does the food compare with London Met?
8th April 2016

....what do you mean the food in the Junction doesn't compare?! LMU will be like that one day Mr Ip! Glad you're both having a great time. Tammee x

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb