Vancouver City & Friends


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
August 24th 2006
Published: September 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were pleasantly surprised the accomodation in downtown Vancouver - Pender Lodge - basic, cheap yet clean, safe and a few minutes walk out of chinatown despite being situated on the wrong side of Pender street. As we were told, the East is the poorer side of town. Evident with the open drug dealing and taking - surprisingly a real problem here in vancouver. Denise who runs the place and bubbly and funny! We wasted no time and went walking along the North shore of downtown in an attempt to stay awake during what was still the Malaysian night for us. So tired la!
It was so stark the transition from open hard drug taking on the streets around Chinatown versus the upmarket condos and classy yachts on the North shore. PICTURES: Graffiti in Chinatown, shiny glass, seaplanes.

Getting around Vancouver is easy. The transport is clearly mapped out and people are willing to help. One bus driver even extended his care out to us be being concerned we were heading to Gore Street on the wrong side of Pender in the evening.

The 2 days in Vancouver brought us to the Seawall lined with marinas, marinas, marinas & beaches, to stanley park (inpromptu free lunch of big juicy Canadian blackberries from bushes filled with the ripe fruit growing wild in the park. Afterall we need to recoup the extra money spent on our flight tickets!), Gastown and the business district. For those familiar with the place, this was a route along the edge of downtown. When Harry and Ellen brought us to the West Ave 8 for dinner, we realised that there was a whole shopping district that was smack in the middle. It allowed us to see part of Vancouver greater which showed its calmer and more relaxed face. !


Advertisement



1st September 2006

Great outing Richard & San San
Wish you two the very best in the outing and exploring the new world.
1st September 2006

Slackers
Samuel San, You guys sure are having a good start to the adventure. Do you post your pics on the site? Also good to see you are running - Rich is a different man - well done San. I just did the 12km city to surf (1.07 mins) so not too bad considering the crowds in front of us. Watch out for bears Mark

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb