1st Week in Canada (Vancouver)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
April 12th 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Canada trip


Brisbane AirportBrisbane AirportBrisbane Airport

Ready for Takeoff
Adam's Blog

We were all sorted and well under our 90kg limit when we checked in for Qantas QF15 to LA on Thursday 7th April. It went pretty smoothly although Kit left his teddy behind in the departure lounge, meanwhile Alison was body frisked by security before boarding the plane and thankfully all was ok! We jumped on board, had good seats and settled in for the 13hr flight.......we watched the Oscar winning movies - Blindside, Crazy Heart, Hurt Locker and Precious. All very good....we tried to get some shut eye - but quite tricky with kids - although they were well behaved.

We watched the sun rise over the mountains as we saw USA for the first time and our landing to LA was smooth. Customs was not a problem, very friendly and organised for 7am (midnight our time). They have the bags, security and fingerprinting in one area now. However we did get caught out as we had to exit one terminal to check in to Air Canada for our Vancouver leg....as soon as we got outside we were greeted by some over friendly volunteers to tell us that the walk to the terminal was that way, "takes you 5 mins ma'am and we would like a donation for charity".....smallest change $US20...ouch.....oh well just hope it does get to the charity. Gotta laugh tho as we soon saw plenty of yellow taxi's, black & white police cars and heaps of red fire hydrants along the path and Kit wanted to sit on every one of them, my thought was 'how many dogs have done their business against these.' Then there was the PA going in a LA twang "The white zone is for drop off only....." very Flying High.

The flight to Vancouver was 4 hours or so and the views outside jaw dropping with snowy peaks and land covered in white. Finally arriving some 23hrs later and our fourth security checkpoint we walked outside to 6 deg C temp and a biting wind. The taxi into town and the Hyatt was our first chance to tip...... Vancouver city was having one of its wet, windy, grey days...so check in to Hyatt was much needed and flopping on the beds was all we could muster. That evening a short walk around town and a bite at The Keg family restaurant had us feeling relaxed.....to think 2 days ago we were swimming on the Gold Coast and tonight we were around a fire drinking red wine - all rugged up.

We finally woke around 11am and it was sunny....(little did we know that the night before was a huge storm that pulled down trees and powerlines)....The views to the snow covered mountains peaks were amazing - so close you could touch them and the dump of snow the night before had the locals salivating as they thought the season would be over......now it will last till end April. We took the Kids to Canada Place - yes the one with the Sails and home of Expo '86 I think for a few photo opps.....we went shopping for cell phones and contacted our first home exchangers.

The next morning we were picked up by Dave & Shari (homex) and taken back to their place for a chat and run through of their apartment. Gracie played with their daughter Steffi and we settled into our new home for the next week. It is very central over looking English Bay and 5 mins drive to Stanley Park. After unpacking we decided to risk it and drive their Mercedes to the shops - first time for everything and right side driving is an interesting challenge. "Watch out for the pedestrian" shouted Al. Where did he come from and why is he walking on the road......rule #1 - expect the unexpected. Our shopping trip opened our eyes to the homeless situation in vancouver...you can't miss them - sight, smell and noise....but pretty harmless. Later that day we drove around Stanley Park and wow what a sight - water views, forest views and mountain views. I cooked up steak on the BBQ out in the courtyard as the lights reflected off English Bay - not a bad way to end the day....

Next morning we woke to further sun and expected temps of 12 deg C....We took the opportunity to go to Stanley Park for the day and stretch our legs....The kids playground was a favourite, followed by a trip to the children's farmyard and miniature railway.....We stopped by the Totem pole park and checked out people picnicing and rollerblading. Later that evening - Elvira the nanny looked after the kids and Alison and I went to the Ice Hockey to see Vancouver Canucks play Calgary Flames....It was a big game being last of the season and their star player Henrik Sedin - became the top scorer of the NHL - we won 7-3....it was sold out and the atmosphere electric - even after the game. They love cheering, eating mexican food and supporting their team...the Olympic Spirit is still well alive in the city so we headed back into town for a drink before getting home.

This morning we jumped on a ferry and crossed over to Granville Island Markets for a leisurely Sunday stroll...coffee and bagel in hand we checked out the Salmon-mongers, artisans and toy shops. It has been a full on first week, but we now feel settled in and looking to settle the pace down....the canadians are very friendly, there are plenty of aussies in town and the buzz is good....we look forward to another week here. Bye for now.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb