Graduation at UBC


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Chan Shun Concert HallChan Shun Concert HallChan Shun Concert Hall

Graduation ceremony at Unversity of British Columbia
And it was graduation morning. I was so glad to see that the weather was cooperating - no more early morning downpour like yesterday. I left the hotel early in order to make sure that we would get to the ceremony on time or early. I picked up my sister, brother-in-law and Brigette at the apartment (Priscilla left already earlier) and drove straight to Chan Shun Concert Hall at the campus of University of British Columbia (UBC). The test run yesterday was great and I had no problem finding our destination. Parking was another issue though. The spaces were all so small and my mid-size rental car had a problem fitting in. It didn’t help that I was so accustomed to Texas size parking spaces.

We climbed a set of stairs and arrived at the main entrance to Chan Shun Concert Hall. My sister grabbed Brigette and rushed towards one of the tents selling flowers. Other visitors were also carrying something going into the ceremony - flowers, stuffed animals and gifts. Actually, what these graduates needed the most was cold hard cash. This was such a bad time to graduate when companies were losing money and laying off their employees.
On stageOn stageOn stage

Picking up her diploma
Priscilla had a number of job interviews lined up, but no offers yet.

We were directed to the second floor and the ceremony was barely starting. It was not a large concert hall and it was actually nice. My college graduation was in the university’s basketball arena that could seat close to 20,000. At UBC, the graduation ceremony was held one major at a time - this graduation was just for Accounting majors. It was more intimate for those attending even though I was sure that the university President and Chancellor were tired of giving the same speech over and over.

The Chancellor and the President of the university gave their speeches. They were followed by one of the students - must be the valedictorian. I looked around and noticed that approximately 75% of the visitors were Asians. That should be a reflection of the graduating seniors also. Again, this was certainly different from my own college graduation where Asians only made up less than 10% of the student population.

The graduation ceremony took about an hour even though each graduating senior went up to get his/her diploma. That was so quick. I wish other universities would follow the example of UBC. Keep the group small and shorten the ceremony. Of course, I didn’t remember what the Chancellor and President spoke about.

Before long, we were all standing around next to the flag pole outside as visitors and graduates streamed out of the hall. We didn’t have an agreed meeting place - what for in the days of cell phone. Brigette was calling Priscilla to figure out where we would meet up. In the meantime, people were hugging and shaking hands all around us. Most Asians were shaking hands; hugging is not in the culture! And I was able to reconfirm that the majority of the visitors - and graduates - were Asians.

We met up with Priscilla and gave her the customary congratulations. It certainly took more efforts to get a degree when English was not the native language. We were all proud of her and I gave her a hug - yes, we Texans give hugs! Then my camera sprang into action … snapping away as our graduating senior posed with her parents and teachers and friends. I stood close by and whenever she stood next to somebody, I took several pictures. I probably looked like a hired photographer for the family. But then again, I am usually the designated photographer during our family events. It’s a role that I take on with no complaints.

Then we noticed that everyone was taking pictures in front of this flower covered screen with the university logo on top. So we lined up also while Priscilla continued to greet her friends. Wasn’t college life supposed to be the best part of our life? I think it was actually high school for me. But certainly college life was the last chance to celebrate our freedom from responsibilities to the society.

Priscilla returned her cap and gown once we thought we were done with all the pictures. But we weren’t done. I continued to take pictures as we walked away from the flag pole area. In the meantime, my sister and brother-in-law started chatting with other parents. I wasn’t listening but I could tell some of the conversations centered around jobs - or lack of. It was the concern of every parent. There should be plenty of opportunities for accountants though. Countries are moving towards a new financial reporting standard called IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards)
GraduationGraduationGraduation

We waited a long time to take this picture
and that should open up lots of doors for accountants with IFRS experience.

We finally left UBC around 11:00am and with Priscilla back as my navigator, we headed towards Spanish Banks. Spanish Banks are a series of beaches east of UBC, with a distant view of Vancouver. We walked along the beach towards the pier and watched a bunch of windsurfers - some of them were definite beginners. It was rather windy and cooler at Spanish Banks and the pier was only occupied by a few visitors and a few fishermen.

We didn’t stay long - everyone was getting hungry. With a planned graduation dinner already confirmed, we wanted something rather simple for lunch. So I kept driving east and stopped at Congee Noodle House for lunch. Parking was on the back side and it was another cramped parking space. But the food was great (I love noodle soups). Done with lunch, I took everyone back to the apartment - planned afternoon nap for everyone?

Not for me though! I drove back to the hotel, parked the car, changed real quick and decided to walk along the waterfront. As mentioned in my earlier blog, it was great
Spanish BanksSpanish BanksSpanish Banks

Watching windsurfers with Vancouver in the background
that Vancouver provided dedicated pedestrian walkway and bicycle path. I followed the walkway heading east …. in the direction of Canada Place where cruise ships dock. Along the way, I walked past the busy terminal for float planes (those that I could see from my hotel room) and the new Vancouver Convention Center - a modern and green building with a walking park on its roof.

It was only a 20-25 minute walk from the hotel to Canada Place. Canada Place is the main cruise ship terminal and home to Alaskan cruises. It was first opened in 1985 and expanded in 2001. The white sails of the building reminded me of Denver International Airport - both visible from a distant. As I got closer to Canada Place, a cruise ship from Holland America Line was getting ready to set sail - as passenger waved goodbye and the pilot ship getting ready to escort the cruise ship out of the pier. I walked into the tourist information center across the street to pick up some brochures. I wanted to get a listing of all the tourist attractions around since I planned to come back to the Vancouver area with Lauren later this summer. I wanted to be prepared for my wife.

Climbing up the side stairs on the other side, a Carnival cruise ship was also in the process of boarding. Busy afternoon at Canada Place! I kept walking and rounded the corner, only to find yet another cruise ship located in front of the Holland America Line that had now started sailing. To my surprise, this last ship was the Seven Seas Mariner - belonging to Regent Seven Seas. This is the ship that Lauren and I will be taking this summer. There were still quite a lot of people preparing this ship as workers raced back and forth loading supplies. Most of the guests were situated in their rooms already and some were walking the decks. I tried to check out the cabins but I couldn’t see past the slightly tinted cabin windows. However, I was so excited to catch a glimpse of the ship and I took a number of pictures so I could send them to Lauren.

I started making my way back to the hotel - occasionally turning around to check out the status of the Seven Seas Mariner. Sure enough, by the
Canada PlaceCanada PlaceCanada Place

Holland America Line ready to set sail with Pan Pacific Hotel on the right hand side
time I reached my hotel, the cruise ship started moving away from Canada Place … heading towards Alaska. It looks much smaller compared to Holland America or Carnival ships. But I am glad. In this case, smaller is preferred - just like the graduation ceremony this morning.

I didn’t spend that much time in the hotel. As afternoon turned into early evening, I got ready again and started walking towards downtown Vancouver’s main commercial area. Priscilla’s graduation dinner was being held at Joe Fortes Seafood and Chop House, at the busy intersection of Thurlow and Robson Street. It was mostly a family affair - the normal 5 of us and Priscilla’s former host family … Barb and Bal. They are family too and they were so supportive to Priscilla when she first came to Vancouver. Priscilla continued to stay in touch with them even though she moved out to an apartment.

I was the first one there and everybody else was running behind due to traffic. I chatted with the server who had been at the restaurant for some time too due to the current job market. This global financial crisis affected almost everybody - from the shrinking
Seven Seas MarinerSeven Seas MarinerSeven Seas Mariner

Departing from Canada Place en route to Alaska
of your nest egg to getting laid off. I felt bad for those who were approaching their retirement age and was forced to go back to work when they found out that their savings were wiped out.

Dinner was great and my brother-in-law ordered a bottle of red wine. Good food with families and friends … what else could I ask for? Priscilla got a small “Happy Graduation” dessert at the end of dinner. Good for her! As much as I love dessert, I always try to avoid it.

It was a short walk back to the hotel again. I needed to pack for my early afternoon flight back to Texas. I was glad that I got the opportunity to attend Priscilla’s graduation. I also attended another niece’s graduation in Austin last year. I was proud of them and certainly glad to see both sisters beaming with pride and joy as their first born finally finished college. My family is very dear to me and I always want to be there to support them as much as they are always available for me. I wish my other sister could have joined us in Vancouver too. Nevertheless, I truly
Joe FortesJoe FortesJoe Fortes

Graduation dinner
enjoyed this short Vancouver trip - with my sister, brother-in-law and nieces.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Happy GraduationHappy Graduation
Happy Graduation

Creme brulee at Joe Fortes


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0579s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb