Vancouver Public Library


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver
September 29th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Vancouver Public Library #1Vancouver Public Library #1Vancouver Public Library #1

View from entrance

Library Visit #1


We had a number of interesting talks from VPL staff. In particular a presentation on a Community Led Library initiative to improve social inclusion. There was a lot of interest in this amongst the UK group as it attempts to identify policies and regulations that have been developed to suit the library but result in potential users feeling unwelcome and in some cases too afraid to enter the library. VPL quoted 10million items circulating a year but less than 30%!o(MISSING)f local community actually using the library service.

The other main interest point was the library building itself. Built in 1995 it covers an entire block of the downtown area. The layout is very traditional and in some areas in need of refurbishment. The staff are aware that some updating of layout is necessary. I liked the perimeter seating that had great views and are reached by bridges over the atrium. I also thought the retail street within the library building but outside the security zone was attractively done.

Point to note: the 7th floor library staff room had an adjoining gym with views over the city. British Columbia believe "healthy staff are happy staff".
Vancouver Public Library

History and more pictures


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Vancouver Public Library #3Vancouver Public Library #3
Vancouver Public Library #3

Retail street within building
Vancouver Public library #4Vancouver Public library #4
Vancouver Public library #4

Traditional layout


30th September 2008

Fantastic building
Yes, agree with Damyanti, cool building. Can we have one too please? And when you equip the gym, can you make sure it has a shower attached?
30th September 2008

Wow!
VPL (unfortunate initials) is an amazing looking building! I would be interested to know what it was that made some potential users afraid to come in. No really, I would be interested. I'm not being sarcastic! You seem to be having a great time, and although I am rampantly jealous of you being in Canada, I only *slightly* hate you.
1st October 2008

As Damyanti said, we were unable to resist visiting the library when we were in Vancouver - it is amazing (although I think I prefer Seattle on the inside...)
1st October 2008

Inside
Well I am off to see Seattle Public library in a few minutes so I'll let you knowwhether I agree. I agree that the inside of the Vancouver Public library was laid out for a traditional service model and is looking a bit tired. I think they know that too and were planning an entrance floor refurb soon.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb