6 months in a new country


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » Kerrisdale
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So it's been six months since we've officially become temporary residents of Canada! And it has been a pretty rough but exciting ride so far. Since our last post, we have gotten new (real) jobs in offices that pay reasonably well (at least, better than the $9/hr we were getting in our shit-kicking jobs!), moved apartments and are now living in Vancouver West about 10 minutes from downtown, said hello and goodbye to some very good friends from Australia (Rohan, Jodie, Christie, Joel, Simon, Emma and soon goodbye to Kyle) and been through the craziness that is Christmas and New Year celebrations.

We haven't left the province yet (although Aaron did just fly down to LA with Kyle for the weekend) and we have much unchartered territory to explore, but it has taken us quite a while to settle in and actually manage to save some funds to do that very thing. But we now finally have weekends off together, and once Kyle leaves we plan to do a lot of weekend trips around the province.

Life in Vancouver is similar to life in Sydney in so many ways- similar culture, attitudes, standard of living, the fact that it is a harbour city. But at the same time it is quite a different setting - working with North Americans, experiencing the ever-changing weather especially the harshness of winter, conforming to their way of life (simple things like paying to receive calls on cell phones, or the fact that they call them cell phones here and not mobile phones).

We have made some great friends here, but have had to say goodbye to one of them who left Vancouver in mid-December to meet his man in Europe for a little adventure before he had to go home. We really miss Lachlan; he was our connection to home as he was also Australian, and we shared similarities in music, films and humour.

This is more a catch-up post and I plan to write more of our adventures this year, but I'll leave you with some pictures from the last few months...


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



8th July 2010
nye @ numbers

The down syndrome photo. This cracks me up everytime i see it lmao
8th July 2010

Ahh i finally got around to reading this! LOL @ the down syndrome photo from NYE hahahaha

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb