Goodbye Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » False Creek
August 21st 2015
Published: August 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Well we have arrived back in Vancouver after another 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer from Banff via Kamloops. Tomorrow we leave Canada on the Radiance of the Seas and head up through the Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Strait Point and Skagway to Seward where we board a wildlife tour bus to take us into Anchorage for the afternoon on the 28th. As the wifi is super $$$$$ on board and we are doing activities at each port I probably won't be able to do another blog for a week and a half. I know, I know! How can you all stand to be incommunicado with me for sooooo long????? Buck up everyone. I'll send more news as soon as I can.

As for the last few days, here's what's happened:

We made it to Moraine Lake in the drizzle. It is truly beautiful and I personally think it is even more beautiful than famous Lake Louise. We walked the length of the lake to a cascade and then made our way back to Lake Louise by shuttle and walked the length of that lake too. I think Noel is trying to make me skinny or something! ??? Lake Louise was also lovely and the chateau is very grand as you would expect from the millions of photos we have all seen of it over the years. The shuttle driver gave us a tip about somewhere good to eat back in town and we had a fabulous meal at the local hostel at their restaurant called Bill Peyto's cafe.

On Sunday it was rainy again but we decided that as there was nothing else we wanted to do we would go out to Lake Louise ski resort for a buffet lunch and gondola ride. The first ride up was ok but the scenery was hampered by the low clouds and drizzle. The interpretive centre at the top of the mountain was very good though. So we went back down for lunch and would you believe it? The sun came out. We took our second ride up on the chairlift and what do I spy running down the hill when we got to the top? A GRIZZLY!!! Noel nearly wet his pants with excitement. Thank you Mother Mary for answering yet another of my prayers. Noel was getting a bit sad that we were not going to see a bear and then there she was in all her glory. Get this though. We had 45 mins only before having to go back down the chair and get our bus into Banff. The bear, who is called Olivia, decided she would not only hang around up the hill, she meandered all the way down to within 50 metres of a huge crowd of people. Remember I said we had 45 mins? Noel has 45 mins of bear video.

Off to Banff. Got a really nice room at the Banff Park Lodge. Ate out every night. The town is so pretty. Everything is neat and tidy. gardens, that have to be replanted every year after winter, were everywhere. The shops, all of them, stay open until 10PM!!! The first day we had hired a car so drove around to check out Surprise Corner, the Hoodoos (rock statues) Lake Minnewanka and Two Jacks lake etc etc. Another full day. Then on Tuesday we hiked (more bloody walking) across town to see the waterfalls, then shuttled to the gondola and hiked again to the very very very top of Sulphur Mountain (where my Facebook photo was taken) and lastly relaxed in the thermal pool at Rimrock resort. Aaahhhhh such bliss.

Up early yesterday for the return Rocky ride with a stop over in Kamloops. The train was excellent again. Service is great. Attendants were fantastic. Food yummy. Scenery is magnificent. Well worth the money. And the room we got in Kamloops? It was massive. In a hotel that had wings. We had a separate bedroom and a balcony that was as big as another bedroom and overlooked the indoor pool, spa and waterfall garden area.

Got in early at Vancouver station and we walked (again) to the YWCA where we are spending the night. Noel is hungry again so we are going out to eat in Robson Street. I'll post some photos when we get back later tonight. Love and kisses to all. Margaret.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb