Naked Sushi Comes to Vancouver


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » False Creek
October 28th 2014
Saved: October 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Naked sushi has come to Vancouver.

The Japanese practice of nyotaimori – serving sushi on a naked body – is said to have its origins in the samurai period in Japan. Of late, it’s spread to North America, with restaurants and caterers from Toronto to Las Vegas offering diners the chance to pluck their maki and sashimi off of models.

Well, I never saw this in Japan, or in any Japanese restaurant stateside. According to the Vancouver Sun newspaper:

In traditional nyotaimori, the model is generally expected to lie still at all times and not talk with guests. The sushi itself is placed on sanitized leaves on the model’s body, so there’s no skin-to-fish contact. Apparently, the challenge is finding sufficiently flat areas of the body so the sushi doesn’t just roll off. (In case you’re wondering, the Vancouver company’s models are, in fact, “nearly naked,” with flowers and leaves taped in strategic places.)









Furthermore, they add: True to Vancouver’s reputation for cheap sushi, prices seem to be relatively reasonable, starting as low as $20 per person with a minimum of 12 guests. (Bento boxes, apparently, cost extra, with prices rising as high as $85/person.) So, perhaps this is the perfect cheap date? If you do not make a connection with your date, perhaps the sushi model might be interested.



Food writers also tell us that pizza is very good, and cheap here. On the eastern side of Canada, it is apparently still a challenge. Maybe the colder weather messes with the pizza dough?
Wise travelers I know, mostly of Chinese-American ethnicity, always tell me that the BEST Chinese food in the world is found in Vancouver.So, we will stick to traditional dinners, like the fabulous Coast restaurant on Alberni Street. The lobster and oysters are always the best. I will have to work up to the naked sushi adventure.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb