CANADA-TRIP TO CALGARY, ALBERTA


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our trip from Victoria, British Columbia to Calgary, Alberta and back took about two weeks. It was, in a sense, my "farewell" trip in Canada for awhile at least.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Victoria to VancouverVictoria to Vancouver
Victoria to Vancouver

We are heading out from Vancouver Island to the mainland of British Columbia. It's about at 1.5 hour trip over on the largest ferry system in the world. we've been told, perhaps by the B.C. ferry p.r. department, I can't remember.
Catching the BreezeCatching the Breeze
Catching the Breeze

Just heading out and enjoying the brisk breeze.
Stanley Park Outside of VancouverStanley Park Outside of Vancouver
Stanley Park Outside of Vancouver

Having disembarked from the ferry we headed over to the city of Vancouver and its' Stanley Park, a small island park just outside of Vancouver.
Hope-British ColumbiaHope-British Columbia
Hope-British Columbia

Heading to Calgary, Alberta we camped our fist night in our little VW van beside the Fraser River flowing through Hope B.C. with the majestic mountains just across the river.
HOMEHOME
HOME

The VW Vanagon, was our home away from home, (or in my case since I'd sold everything I had), was "home". for a few weeks camping. It was cosy and easy to maintain (as in, just make the bed if you want)
MountainsMountains
Mountains

We are heading into the mountains just east of Vancouver and approaching the Rockies. This reminds me of those old Marlboro cigarette commercials i.e. "big country' with somebody on a horse somewhere.
ResortsResorts
Resorts

We pass resorts, lots of them, in the misty distance.
FriendsFriends
Friends

Here we are with our good friend John who showed us around the beautiful city of Calgary and then over to the "Buffalo Run" golf course (where my old, personal, time proven golf strategy worked again i.e. DON'T KEEP SCORE!
Weasal Head RiverWeasal Head River
Weasal Head River

Can you imagine a province/country that might name a river "Weasel Head". We also have "Moose Jaw", a city and then of course there's "Yellow Knife", a city. The Weasel Head meanders here just inside Calgary.
Just Outside of CalgaryJust Outside of Calgary
Just Outside of Calgary

Heading back to Victoria. We took our time going and coming and camped several nights both ways i.e. to and from Calgary. The Rockies are packed with these beautiful little, secluded camping sites.
Pit StopPit Stop
Pit Stop

Earlier on our trip we saw a grizzly but were moving too fast to get a picture. This fellow was just off the highway and was unnervingly blase about our presence at about 20 feet.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb