Nanaimo - Bars are not what they seem


Advertisement
Published: October 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Port Authority building NanaimoPort Authority building NanaimoPort Authority building Nanaimo

Not a bit like London or Manchester ports is it
August 28th

Strike camp and load the boot.
We are off to Vancouver Island today.
Stop at Bridal Falls for breakfast. The main diner is full so we have to sit in the Gallery which is a room full of ornaments and mineral specimens.

As we approach Vancouver the weather steadily worsens. Finally we drive through heavy rain with the wipers non-stop. Arrive at Horseshoe Bay and there is quite a queue. A ferry on another route has broken down and so there are far more people than usual using this crossing. Wait was only 90 mins and the weather changed to brilliant sunshine.

Modern ferry, comfy seats and lots of cafe outlets. Also a business centre where there are desks and sockets. No internet though.
The short drive from the terminal to our hostel, The Painted Turtle, in Nanaimo was lined with cars waiting to catch the ferry back to the mainland. Looked like several hours wait for some.
Hostel is clean, modern, newly decorated with a large kitchen a lounge area and no TV.
The good news is there is free internet ...the bad news is there are 2 kids on it all evening and the
Naniamo MarinaNaniamo MarinaNaniamo Marina

Up market docks
WiFi performance is frustratingly flaky.

It's Sunday and the town is all but closed.
Buy a few essentials from the surprisingly good supermarket in the dead-looking shopping centre as we're back to cooking for ourselves.
Tried Nanaimo Bars ...biscuit base with custard on topped with chocolate.....which are a local delicacy but they were too sweet for us.
Quiet evening apart from a couple of kids running riot. It sometimes surprises me how well behaved our children are when compared to their peers.

Monday August 29th

Visit Parksville a few miles along the coast. The beach is deserted. It is a stoney and muddy bay with dangerous looking sandbanks every now and again.
Commercial district large and booming. Picnic by the huge playground on the beach's hinterland.
Impressive equipment here with zip lines, trapezes and various water squirters.
The tide is coming in now so we return to the beach for a paddle. Watch some people having to wade fully clothed from a sandbank.
Give the Charity shop here the once over looking for new trunks for Steve and Rory.
The place is 2 storey and full of all sorts of things...swimwear not amongst them.
Internet available tonight
Flying BoatsFlying BoatsFlying Boats

Lots of these around
so Owen and Rory jump on.
We sit and chat to fellow travellers.

August 30th

Weather not too good this morning so we drive to Victoria. The rain gets progressively worse and the landscape is less impressive than the maniland.
Victoria itself is a pretty town with good architechture and lots for tourists to do.
There are horse drawn carriages, totem poles and museums. By now it is raining so hard we do not get out of the car but squint through the windows at the marina and other sights (including some bedraggled family groups).
The houses are much bigger than we have seen lately and some are quite stately.
Stop for food at Boston Pizza but it is not good. We do get to watch a poker championship on the extra large TV though. Poker seems to be an up and coming sport here. It was a complete mystery to me.
Back in Nanaimo the rain abated. We walked the marina and park paths. Very well planned and laid out. Saw loads of sea planes and boats for hire.
Kitchen too full to cook until late. More traveller's tales.

Wednesday August 31st

Pottered about today. Steve (Hawaii and Oz research) and Owen (Maths exercises) to Public Library while Rory and I cooked muffins.
Went out later to get card for Jo and were shouted at by unbalanced lady who was threatening to slap one of us. Am not sure why. It was quite scary and put me out of sorts for the rest of the day.
Introduced to a new card game called Bush Rummy by an older Australian couple at the hostel, Max and Pat. Good game. I won....beginner's luck.

Last night at the hostel (or "boutique hotel" as it also describes itself, we still do not know why).

Aiming to do some camping on the west coast tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Dam BuildersDam Builders
Dam Builders

O and R building a dam at the base of one of the sandbanks
HeronHeron
Heron

A heron blending in at Parksville beach
HerHer
Her

Me blending in at Parksville beach
Flying Boat CafeFlying Boat Cafe
Flying Boat Cafe

A neat place to wait for your plane
Young at HeartYoung at Heart
Young at Heart

Steve at the playground
Is this Mum's spare tyre ?Is this Mum's spare tyre ?
Is this Mum's spare tyre ?

Boys at the playground
What type of swinging is this forWhat type of swinging is this for
What type of swinging is this for

This was one of the swings in the playground at Nanaimo


29th September 2005

hey agen owen
just thought we would leave you another blog, do they have grass skirts in hawiwi or is that jamicia? ipod nano just cam out... wonder if they sell them by the bucket load in japan, owen your hair is better than rorys... see yo in march homie. the crew

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb