From Trestle Bridges to Totem Poles


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver Island » Duncan
October 19th 2013
Published: October 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Fall ColoursFall ColoursFall Colours

Cowichan Bay
October 16, 2013 – Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island



We’ve had a couple of wonderful days here into our week-long stay in Cowichan Bay. The weather, once again, is perfect and the blue sky is accentuating the fall colours beautifully. Once just shades of green the deciduous trees (Maples, Oaks and Ashes, to name a few) are now a million varieties of reds and oranges and set against an azure sky they are quite stunning. It’s not just evergreens in Western Canada! The countryside around this house is not unlike England in places with its rolling hills and green meadows with a scattering of Oaks, but then England becomes just a distant memory when you catch sight of the sea against the backdrop of the many islands and inlets that make up the coast of Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.

Yesterday (October 15, 2013) we drive past beautiful Shawnigan Lake and then walk along part of the Cowichan Valley Trail across the impressive Kinsol Trestle Bridge. A few more trails take us along a meandering stream – the clearest we’ve ever seen and then its back to enjoy our little bit of heaven that is Seagate on Kingscote Road.



Today we went north, popping into the quaint fishing port of Cowichan Bay and then Maple Bay where we enjoyed a lovely coffee and hot chocolate on a deck overlooking the bay in the Bad Habits Café. And – just for the fun of it – we checked out a couple of waterfront properties for sale and daydreamed about living (or at least retiring) here!

We continued up to Duncan and admired the impressive collection of totem poles dotted randomly around the town before returning to the house.

Last evening Matthew made the most delicious bread from scratch and tonight Sam made scrummy pretzels! Another dip in the hot tub and a little astronomy lesson thanks to the clear skies!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sam's Pretzels!  Sam's Pretzels!
Sam's Pretzels!

Delicious!
Mill BayMill Bay
Mill Bay

Vancouver Island
Totems of DuncanTotems of Duncan
Totems of Duncan

Vancouver Island


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0701s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb