Canyonlands


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Salmo
September 11th 2015
Published: September 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Our first day out went very smoothly, however, quite long. We left Chilliwack around 8:30 am and drove a total of 400 miles, arriving in Creston nine hours later!!

It was a perfect day for traveling with clear blue skies and plenty of sunshine. The #3 highway, also known as the Crows Nest Highway, parallels the US border. However it is not a straight line. All day we were driving up and down mountain ranges, sometimes as high as 5820 ft. on the Kootenay Pass (that is over a mile high), and the road had plenty of twists and turns as well. There was a definite feel of Fall in the air and some trees are already beginning to turn, adding colour for photographs!

Our first stop was in Princeton where we stopped for lunch by the Similkameen River, which, like all rivers after such a dry summer, is very low. From there to Osoyoos was a very beautiful drive through farmland and mountains. Once we got near Osoyoos we could see some the devastation from the recent wild fires and smoke is still blowing over the lake area. Osoyoos is know for its orchards and vineyards and I was able to capture some of that with the camera on the way through. Trouble with pulling an RV is there is no place to pull off when you want to snap a picture, so I resolved to taking a few out of the window of the moving vehicle!!

Another thing that has caught our attention is the large number of properties up for sale all along our route.

We continued on the #3 Hwy through Grand Forks, Castlegar, Salmo and over to Creston. Thankful for a good rest that night and opportunity to drive around the Creston area in the morning. The best time to be here is probably later in the Fall to see the bird migration. Right now it is harvest time and the farmers are busy bringing in the crops. Tomorrow Creston is holding their annual Fall Festival which we may go see before moving on across the US border as far as Coeur d'Alene.































1


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



12th September 2015

Loved our virtual journey with you. The Canadian scenery new to us. Sorry the forest fires were in that area. However the grape crop flourished. Congrats. taking pictures.
life going well here with all the kids returning to school. Everything good .Travel mercies. thanks for keeping us in the loop. love Diane and Wolfgang.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb