Powell River recce day


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Powell River
September 12th 2016
Published: September 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We spent the morning finding our way around the house, doing washing, checking out the immediate area and then going along the coast to a well known cafe to see how the coffee measured up. Not bad at all.

After lunch we took the car along to the coastal walkway and walked along as far as we could to the Vancouver Island ferry jetty and mariner. Strangely, it was cooler at the house property than in town and we were soon stripped down to singlet and shorts as it was much warmer along the coast. The views from the walkway are out to a large island with Vancouver Island in the distance with snow capped mountains. It is a peaceful laid back sort of location which is hardly surprising since the road goes only 20 odd kilometres north and south of the town and we will explore both ends while here. Powell River has it's history based on the timber milling in the area and there is a large paper mill that provides most of the employment. Originally there were over 2000 employees and now there are only a few hundred. Sound familiar?

Our next objective was to stock up on some groceries to tide us over for the next few days. The necessary shops that you find in any sizeable town are all here as well as a hospital and many recreational facilities. We can see why people would want to live here despite the slightly isolated position. I've often felt that about Nelson but that also adds to the appeal.

Back at the house, David took Linds to check out the golf course which we could book a round for if we wish. We also have bikes to ride many trails to walk.

The day finished with a well deserved beer sitting on a couple of seats on the lawn a stone's throw away from the sea. The sun sank slowly, the sea was dead calm, birds swooped in to feed and a neighbour came by with her dog. Nice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

A beer by the seaA beer by the sea
A beer by the sea

A beautiful evening overlooking the water


Tot: 0.438s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.2155s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb