Update...Just left Savary and now in Ucluelet!


Advertisement

Just finished 5 fantastic days at Savary. No internet there (the island is completely off the grid) so wasn't able to post any updates. The weather started out pretty cold and wet making the water taxi ride over pretty miserable though we saw a few seals swimming along. Things cleared up by day 2 and we spent hours hiking and at the beach. The kids loved the starfish and shells at Mermaid beach and we had fun with Maddy and Taylor. Enjoyed meeting Paul's brother Tim. Open fires are not usually allowed at this time of year but because of all the rain we were able to have a bonfire and make smores. Paul spoiled us with lots of tasty food. There is a huge Eagles nest right above Tim's cottage and it had two eagles that we spotted daily. Amazing place...felt like we were at some small island in the Carribean (minus the warm water!).On our way over to Vancouver Island from Powell River to Comox, Tim flashed us a signal from Savary with a mirror which the kids loved!!
Now we are in Ucluelet at the West Coast Motel which is perfect. It has a full kitchen and is right on the small harbour so we can see the fishing boats come in. The drive here was fun and included the ferry and then a stop at Coombs to see the goats ona roof (strange place with a fantastic gourmet food store!) and also the Cathedral Grove which has huge trees that were over 800 years old. Spent our first day at Long beach which runs between Tofino and Ucluelet. We all got wet suit because the water is freezing and had a blast body surfing and skim boarding!! Had dinner at a taco place in Tofino. Tofino is much more developed than Ucluelet and has some great surf stores and lots of resturants. We are all exhaused now and a little sun burnt! Hoping to get back in the water tomorrow. Suits are due back by noon...


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb