The Land of Alternativeness - Nelson


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Nelson
October 1st 2005
Published: October 1st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Kokanee Creek Provinicial ParkKokanee Creek Provinicial ParkKokanee Creek Provinicial Park

Pretty waterfall but no spawning salmon - the little rascals elude us once again
Nelson is the epitome of alternativeness - a mecca of craft stores, organic grocers and independent cafes amidst wafts of pot smoke. And, of course, dreadlocks and hippies galore :-). We've spent the last couple of days exploring this colourful little town, gorging on samples at farmer's markets, feasting on local cheese and eating out at some of the many fine cafes and restaurants tucked away in side streets. If you are ever in Nelson, may I heartily recommend 'Au Soleil Levant', a delicious French bakery, and the 'Garlic Clove' - if you like garlic in massive doses, that is .

In between our frenzied bouts of eating, we explored the surrounding countryside, which is particularly beautiful at the moment thanks to the rich colours of fall, creating a visual smorgasbord of vivid reds, oranges and yellows. Much to Quin's dismay, I have become obsessed with fall foliage and literally spend hours photographing it .

We also paid a visit to the Kokanee Creek Provincial Park after hearing that this was another site where salmon spawn, in late September no less! After our failed attempt to see the mythical salmon in the Shuswap area, we thought this was
Smorgasbord of Fall ColoursSmorgasbord of Fall ColoursSmorgasbord of Fall Colours

Lake shore near Nelson, BC
our chance! But alas, we were out of luck once again. In a cruel twist of fate, they had spawned early and we'd missed them by about a week. Sneaky little fish. I did see woody woodpecker, though. So, he really does exist. He was doing as his name would suggest and pecking wood. How much wood would a woodpeck peck if a woodpeck wouldn't peck wood? OK, I admit, the literary quality of this journal is getting worse and worse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb