Cambodia & Vietnam in Review


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kitimat
March 20th 2011
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Halong BayHalong BayHalong Bay

Child selling fruit from boat vendor
Halong Bay (Halong Heritage Resort)


On March 2nd we travelled from Hanoi to Halong Bay. Halong Bay is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site and covers approximately 580 square miles, with more than 2000 pinnacle shaped limestone and dolomite outcrops. According to legend the bay was formed when a gigantic dragon (ha long means descending dragon) plunged into the Gulf of Tonkin and created the islets by lashing its tail.

We visited Hang Thien Cung or Celestial Palace Grotto which features sparkling stalactites and stalagmites. Like Hang Dau Go it is softly illuminated with coloured lights. Upon returning to the ship we were served a wonderful Vietnamese lunch and enjoyed the sights of the many islands and grotos. Now everyone needs to have an opportunity to sell their product. We not only had vendors come on board offering silk pictures and clothing we also had a child from a boat vendor jump on board hoping to sell us fresh fruit.

If you are planning a trip to Halong Bay my suggestion would be to plan an overnight trip on one of the larger tour boats. That may also give you an opportunity to visit one of the
Halong BayHalong BayHalong Bay

View around Halong Bay
floating villages and maybe take a smaller boat into some of the low, long caves found at Tam Coc.

It is at least a 3 hour drive from Hanoi to Halong Bay, and if you stop at one of the artisan shops you can easily add an addition 2 hours to your trip. The town of Halong Bay really doesn't have much to offer other than to walk through their huge Kodak Market. Most of the product here has been imported from other countries and if you really want to purchase authentic Vietnamese or Cambodian product you are better off to find a local artisan shop.

A long drive back to Hanoi on March 4th and after a walking/shopping tour through the Old Quarter we took an afternoon flight to Hue.



Hue (Romance Hotel)


The capital of Vietnam from the 18th century until 1945, Hue is a World Cultural Heritage site. Before the gates were locked we toured the Forbidden City, the Royal Citadel and Tu Duc Tomb. With a rather small French Quarter and a large surrounding rural area Hue is an interesting city. The hotels are excellent as are the French
Halong BayHalong BayHalong Bay

Our vessel the Baithu 36
restaurants.

Destination on March 4th was Hoi An. We managed a Perfume River Tour, a 3 hour drive to Danang via the beautiful Hai Van pass, a hike to Marble Mountain and a tour of the Old Quarter of Hoi An and the Japanese Bridge with dinner at the famous Cargo Restaurant.



Hoi An (Palm Garden Resort)


The next 5 nights began our R & R. Located about 6km from the Hoi An the Palm Garden Resort offers free shuttle service regular throughout the day with the last shuttle leaving the Hoi An's Old Quarter at 8:30PM. (The Old Quarter was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1999)

We took advantage of sleeping in and relaxed breakfasts. Hoi An is a dining and shoppers paradise, everything is available here. Hand dyed silks, finely woven stoles, colourful paintings and silk embroidered pictures, lacquer ware, silver jewellery, bamboo and coconut products, traditional Vietnamese conical hats and custom made clothing and shoes.

I promised myself that I wouldn't stock up on Cambodian & Vietnamese kitsch. But, I've also said that if you see something you like, buy it, because you may not have a
Marble MountainMarble MountainMarble Mountain

A rub for good luck
second chance. Well now wishing I listened to my own advise because I'm lacking in the kitsch department.

We did however find a wonderful little shop called " Reaching Out". "Reaching Out - Gifts That Give Twice" is a fair trade social business offering authentic, eco-friendly Vietnamese handcrafted gifts made by artisans with disabilities. Take advantage of their workshop tours by booking in advance and check out their website www.reachingoutvietnam.com

The Cargo Club Restaurant is a great place to have dinner, however I'd suggest that you make a reservation and try to get a table upstairs facing the river.

Miss Ly Cafe was also a favorite, everything was freshly made and the green papaya salad is a must along with their sampler menu. Miss Ly is a very stylish, young Vietnamese lady, and along with family members she has the kitchen under control, while her partner an American fellow keeps the restaurant flowing. I'd suggest that you make a reservation here too.

Don't forget to ventured over the famous Japanese bridge, there are fewer people and the prices seem better . There is also a great collection of wonderful art shops. I'm thinking that if you
Hue, VietnamHue, VietnamHue, Vietnam

Royality
wanted to have a special picture reproduced this might be the place to have it done. But remember to allow for a few days.

Hoi An is located on the north bank of the Thu Bon River, and one of it's famous land marks is the Japanese Covered Bridge. The bridge was build in 1593 by Japanese merchants in Hoi An.

Due to natural disaster, the Japanese Bridge was restored so many times that it lost it original Japanese architecture style and was influenced by Vietnamese and Chinese design.

Today you will find 3 Chinese characters over the door. "Lai Van Kieu" means bridge for passers-by from afar. The 2 entrances to the bridge are guarded by a pair of monkeys on one side and a pair of dogs on the other.

According to legend, there once lived an enormous monster called Cu, whose head was in India, its tail in Japan and its body in Vietnam. Whenever the monster moved, terrible disasters such as floods and earthquakes fell on these places. So, apart from the purpose of transportation, it is also said to protect from the monster and to preserve a safe and peaceful life.

Today the Japanese Bridge has been officially selected to be the symbol of Hoi An.

Jayleen & Susan spend a day on an outer island with the hopes of doing some snorkeling. Unfortunately that wasn't to happen so they made the best of the day walking the beach and touring the island.

On another morning we rented bikes from a shop across the street from the hotel, 1.50 per day per person. (The Palm Garden Resort charges 2.00US per hour or 10.00US for the day) Off we went into the country where we spent time learning a bit about Vietnamese cooking and farming. A wonderful afternoon touring through local communities and farming areas.

A few of us also took advantage of the Vietnamese Xich Lo. (Cyclos) This is a basket like throne with 2 large wheels attached to the back half of a bicycle. For the French and Vietnamese noble the Xich Lo was called the luxurous method of transportation. The cyclos was a very effective method of transporting often with more than one person plus goods travelling up and down the narrow roads and Vietnam city alleys. With the motorbike/scooter storm came a quicker way
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam

International bikers
for people and good to be transported. so the Xich Lo has be revamped, and has a new look which is wider, more colorful and the divers are dressed for the tourists.


Adventure Highlights:
* Ironing your US green backs won't help, if a bill has a tear or looks limp and old, well guess what?
* Before entering a local restaurant, have a look see if there are other tourists inside. If not maybe you should find another establishment. ie: Dead Fish Restaurant in Siem Reap
* French Bread sold on the freeways in Hanoi. Whatever it takes!
* The children in Cambodia. When selling their little trinkets they sound like a litter of kittens, meowing at us as we try to escape. Actually we almost always bought something.
* Being swarmed by Cambodian vendors, selling violins, scarves, sun glasses and straw Christmas decorations.
* If you make eye contact with a street or boat vendor you may as well buy the product because they won't let up.
* Understand the local money and never flash a lot of cash.
* Before you begin the bidding war make sure you know exactly how much you are prepared
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam

The famous red Japanese Bridge
to pay. I paid about 6.00 for a 2.00 t-shirt.
* Loved ones burial site in the middle of family rice paddy.
* Family of 4 maybe 5 on a scooter.
* Office furniture and live chickens being transported on a scooter. How about 6 bed mattresses.
* 88 shades of green, maybe more.
* gasoline sold in 1 litre black label scotch bottles
* Small plastic blue tables and chairs



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam

Reaching Out
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam

Fishing boats!!
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam

Public beach
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam

Fishing Village
Hoi An, VietnamHoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam

Heavy equipment


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb