Day 90 Kettle Valley Railway Trail, Myra Canyon and along the Okanagan


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Kelowna
July 17th 2018
Published: July 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another absolutely awesome day. We drove through the Salmon River Valley and beside Kalamalka Lake until Kelowna before making our way to Myra Canyon and the old Kettle Valley Railway Trail. It was an easy return ride on a relatively flat trail of approximately 30 kms over 18 trestles (railway bridges) and through 2 tunnels. The trail for the most part had a cliff like fall of hundreds of metres on one side and sloping rock faces covered by cedar pine on the other. You did have to concentrate during the ride because it was easy for misfortune to occur. It was clear to see that the area was still recovering from the destructive fire that had ‘rolled up’ the slopes in 2003 destroying virtually all of the forest covering and 12 of the 18 trestles, which have now been rebuilt.

We did the ‘adventure’ with Wayne, Lori and Mike their son-in-law and his son Carter. We prepared well with scroggin, much water, apples and rolls which we devoured at the turn around. The temperature had hit 34 degrees by the time we returned.

After the ride we made our way to Quails Gate Winery for lunch (and wine)
before returning to Shuswap along the beautiful Okanagan Lake which runs for 135km and is nearly 5kms at its widest point with a maximum depth of 232m. Numerous small parks and beaches are scattered along its shores. The views, as usual with BC, were sensational.

Back at Shuswap, it was only minutes before the four of us were cooling ourselves off by swimming to the pontoon moored 60m off shore. Refreshing and a great way to end a very happy and fulfilling day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement






















18th July 2018

What a beautiful country , mountains , rivers , magnificent forests and two great, fit,good looking Australians (obviously) enjoying themselves and doing it all . Proud of you both . Stay healthy . Regards, Peter .

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb