Ah, WHALES!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Hartley Bay
August 10th 2019
Published: August 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Whale watching


WHALES!



On our way to Prince Rupert last week, we started to see more whales, spotting a humpback in the Fraser Reach, a few orcas in Wright Sound, and some dolphins or seals feasting in the distance. Now on our downward slide south, we traverse virgin waters for Ama, heading west towards the open ocean but still skirting the Browning Entrance into Petrel Channel, and the first encounter with any other creatures, is whales!



When there are whales on both sides of the bow, and you can hear their breath, “whooshing” out and up into giant plumes, the spray falling on our decks, we know we have found whales! And now we are too close. Though we are barely 100 meters from shore, humpback whales are on both sides of our boat. Suddenly Ama feels very small. It seems like the pod passes in an instant. One minute, they appear, just alongside. We grab our cameras, Bridget heading to the back cockpit since she’s learned it's near to impossible to hold a camera steady on the bow. Peter slides his starboard window open, turning on his camera, and just barely catching the huge tail fluke waving goodbye as the first, and largest, whales dives. Then the second, tail flaps up and disappears, then one, maybe two more humpbacks peek above the surface then disappear.

Gone fishing no doubt!





Blog 6 • 2019




The IPDP is a grassroots effort to decarbonize the marine and light displacement maritime ecosystem of the NW’s Inside Passage over the next decade through demonstration, awareness, education, and strategic partnering. The IPDP’s three principal foci are on clean, very low carbon propulsion; clean, renewables-based lubricants, 100%!t(MISSING)ruly renewable port electric grids, and vessel shore-power for charging.









Check out more news & information at Inside Passage Decarbonization Project: www.DecarbthePasssage.net


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb