Day 3 July 8/14 Grand Forks BC 810 kms


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Let the games begin!!!!!

We are on the road with no particular place to go. Sorry Ron and Bev, this didn’t include you. Vernon was our only scheduled stop and now it’s behind us. As John Wayne said, “the only thing stopping us from going is the leavin.” That and Dave’s driveway out of his property. That was a little tricky.

The idea behind this trip is to see as many new places as possible. That may mean something as simple as taking the road less travelled just so we can see something new. That road may be a little longer or a little slower or maybe both, but damn it, it will be new to us.

So that’s how today’s trip started. We have been through Vernon and Kelowna before several times always on the main route highway 97. So leaving Vernon with the intention of getting to Grand Forks, Helli and I decided to travel along the west of Lake Okanagan on Westside Road. “Great name”. Along this portion of our trip, Helli had her first major incident. The dreaded bug down her top!!!!! After screeching to a stop and blocking half the lane of traffic, she had her jacket, top and bra off in record time. Bug was gone and problem solved (much to the delight of several passing motorists).

Riding along late today thinking about my turn to write the blog, it came to me that today was all about little treats.

The first treat came when we arrived in Kelowna and stopped at “Tim’s for a quick coffee. It’s already getting very warm out and the a/c felt pretty good too. After fuel for the bikes and water for us it was time to head on down the road.

Our new road came in the form of highway 33 to Rock Creek. This is half as good as “Route 66”. Fun ride, light traffic and great scenery. Way past warm, now 35 degrees.

This brings us to our second treat. We had to stop for ice cream. Apparently it’s a law in Beaverdell. Marley’s is this little ice cream stand on the side of the road that was more than a welcome stop.

Back on the road and time for our third treat. A couple of bikers caught up to us and came along for the ride for at least 5-6 miles. When they finally passed us, the bikers turned out to be two young ladies in muscle shirts riding very large Harleys. I’m not sure how Helli knew that they were going to a lake, but she muttered something to me on the intercom about “beaches“. OK so it was a treat for me at least.

On the final leg into Grand Forks the heat was getting unbearable so time for another treat. We stopped at Boundary Creek provincial campsite and river to cool off. A little shade, a little cool water and just a chance to get off the bikes. That can be a big treat all by itself at the end of the day.

So here we are tucked into our little motel room in Grand Forks (Russian – for big spoons). It ain’t no Willow Haven, Pilgrim. We are crossing the border tomorrow heading south, not sure where but it will be new!! Looking forward to it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0906s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb