A short story all about deer on Cortes Island


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Generally, wildlife is prolific and doing rather well on Cortes Island, but when it comes to deer...... they’re a lot more relaxed and doing a lot better than us mere Sapiens:


When you wake-up and stroll onto your cabin deck, there’s a doe stretching the compound fence to munch on flower buds of the hydrangea and hostes plantsOn the way to work watch out; one bambi just stood spread legged transfixed in front of the CRV before Mum doe finally called her awayArrive at work and a mini-herd is raiding the apple orchard (We had to build new 2m high enclosure fences to protect all fruit trees)Having lunch on the shoreline between the yacht clubs and deer peak through forests, while seals poke their heads up to say–“hey, what’s for lunch today?”In the afternoon, there’s mother doe with 2 bambis wandering through the edge of the Hollyhock parking lot<li style="color:� font-family: 'Calibri','sans-serif'; font-size: 11pt; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal;">Meanwhile back on the home front, deer are checking out the garden fences and munching up a storm of foxglove buds..



And they’re really not that dumb; even though hunting season is not ‘til fall, it’s very rare that you actually see a buck. So I guess, it’s all about more the merrier.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



7th July 2016

Oh dear!
Dad, Very entertaining blog entry! I think you have a budding career as a travel writer. ? You'really a natural. Love the photos of your hoovedreams and flippers friends. Is it hard to forgive them their gourmand transgressions? Xoxo Sofie

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0774s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb