Chilling out in Cowichan Bay


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Cowichan Bay
October 22nd 2013
Published: October 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Suspension BridgeSuspension BridgeSuspension Bridge

Bright Angel Park, Cowichan Valley
October 19, 2013 – Bright Angel Park (Saturday)



Had we been staying in a cheap motel by the side of the highway I’m guessing we’d have got out more this week than we actually have. Instead we’ve rented this gorgeous house with this fabulous view and a lovely little beach and the result is our days out are relatively short. But that’s ok. There’s plenty to see close by and we’re enjoying the freedom to chill out, enjoy the hot tub, nice cosy home-cooked meals, good books, a game of Monopoly or similar etc, etc.

Today we call into Mill Bay to pick up a delicious coffee and enormous cinnamon buns and eat it down by the lovely little marina. We then drive a few minutes away to Bright Angel Park on the banks of the Koksilah River. It’s only a tiny (4 ha) forest area so the walks were never going to be long ones but the appeal is it has a suspension bridge high above the river. And we like those. (Especially when they’re free ones – see earlier entry).

The other appeal, although we didn’t know this before we came, was the chance
Suspension BridgeSuspension BridgeSuspension Bridge

Bright Angel Park, Cowichan Valley
of seeing a cougar as according to signs at every trailhead there has been one sighted in the area. We figure that with four of us we’re in no real danger – the only concern being can we get the camera out quickly enough? Sadly no cougar sightings but a lovely little (emphasis being on the “little”) walk along the river and a chance for a mess around down by the water, playing “pooh sticks” and balancing on the enormous tree trunks that have fallen into the water. We spot a couple of fish, presumably salmon battling the odds as they fight their way against the current.

October 20, 2013 – Cowichan Bay (Sunday)

The next day and I’m hit with a small sickness bug and our pre-arranged decision not to stray too far on our last day is a good one for many reasons.

We wander down to “our” beach, read, watch “The Life of Pi”, play games and generally chill out. A lovely day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Changing ColoursChanging Colours
Changing Colours

Bright Angel Park, Cowichan Valley


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb