From 100 Mile House to Whistler


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » 100 Mile House
September 9th 2010
Published: September 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We started today with a 5 km run through 100 Mile House. Strangely, the newer houses in the area reminded us of Florida. The weather definitely didn't. It was 5 degrees when we set out. The terrain was so hilly we heated up quickly enough.

There is very little to see in this town (we asked at the hotel desk and they were stumped!) so we took a short drive around before leaving.

It was another long drive (5 hours) but very different from yesterday. The roads were windy and clung to the side of the mountains with sheer cliffs right beside the car. There were steep climbs and intimidating descents. These roads were what we expected when we thought of the Rockies, not the gentle curves and level passes we experienced in Alberta.

Another difference was the foliage. Fewer mountains reached above the tree line. There were thick forests and late blooming flowers along the roadside.

We stopped in Lillooet for lunch. The town has some strange claims to fame including the 23 camel bridge, so named for the first and last attempt to bring camels to the area, and a "jade walk" featuring 30 jade boulders, once sourced locally, at different locations throughout the village. We had a lovely picnic lunch beside a river.

We arrived in Whistler in the late afternoon and checked into the Blackcomb Suites Hotel. We spent the evening walking through the village.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



9th September 2010

Weird
So what the heck is that contraption your in front of? Davey is pissed cause we beat his ass at Train!
10th September 2010

Stange sculpture
Mark said the sculpture is made of parts from a hydro-electric plant. I have no idea what it's supposed to be - a plant maybe??

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb