Sunday, 20 June 2010, Sikanni River to Hythe, Alberta


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
June 20th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 20 June 2010, Sikanni River to Hythe, Alberta

Another pretty day on the road today. The closest thing to a wild animal we saw today was a large black lab that from a long ways off, we thought might be a black bear. We drove through miles and miles of spruce forests with nothing going on but natural gas operations. Stopped at Walmart and Safeway in Ft. St John for provisions and fuel. It was the cheapest fuel we’ve seen in a long while (diesel was $0.964/L or about $3.66/gal.)

We stopped in Dawson Creek to buy patches and stickers and to take pictures of us all standing at Milpost 0 - - we drove the Alaska highway from the north end all the way to the south end (and in the process, drove some of it both ways). We were a lot disappointed with the monument at the actual 0 mile point, because it didn’t have an American Flag on it, and the US was the one that built the road to begin with. With the exception of a few areas being rebuilt, and the section from Burwash Landing in YT to about Tok, AK, the road is in really good shape.

Along the way, we passed a saw mill that had a 30 ft high wood lumber jack out front to advertise the place. The milepost said that he is dressed in Santa Costume at Christmas time.

Tomorrow we’ll head down to Hinton, Alberta where there are a bunch of commercial campgrounds and a NP visitors centre. The next day we’ll go to Jasper and drive the Ice Highway down to Banff. We’re thinking that we’ll go out the west side of Banff NP and head down to Kalispell, MT to see if the Hi-Lo dealer there can fix our trailer (We damaged it pretty badly on the road from Tok to Haines Junction.)



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.195s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb