The Ice field Parkway


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
July 18th 2016
Published: July 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

18 Jul 2016: We only had our campsite for one night and when we checked in the morning, nothing had opened up. The ranger told us we could use the overflow area South of Lake Louise for free so we moved over there.

After we got situated, we took off up the Ice field Parkway, route 93 towards Jasper to see and perhaps tread on the aforementioned glacier. The drive was beautiful. We were flanked on both sides by towering mountain peaks that rose above the tree line, their tops swathed in clouds, their bases dressed in green accented by the occasional water fall. There are so many mountain peaks that it is hard not to get jaded. We saw one Black Bear enjoying himself eating Buffalo Berries on the way up.
Stopping at the ice fields centre we enquired about the glacier tour to see if Jeanne would be able to handle it. Thete are two yours. The first takes you ouht kn the glacier itself. The secknd takes you to a 1/2 mile walm tok a suspended glass walkway from which yoh can view the glacier. The staff suggested the glacier walkway tour would be more suitable so off we went. The bus we rode in traveled perhaps a kilometer before letting us off. They had a wheelchair available and it was much easier than the kneeling scooter. Numerous signs described the formation of the Columbia Icefield and how the glaciers scooped out material to form cup shaped valleys separated by sharply delineated peaks.
Jeanne wanted to go on the glass sidewalk but I stayed behind. I don't like the feeling of not being supported. We did something similar on our Chicago trip six years ago and I didn't like it then either.
We waited for the next bus when we were ready to leave. You can stay as long as you like. Tg ed buses come every 10 minutes or so until everybody is ready to return.
When we got back, the facility was closed so we were unable to get anything to eat or drink on the way home. It was about a 300 km round trip. On the way back, that same bear was still by the roadside eating berries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb