Lake Louise and Moraine Lake


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
September 6th 2010
Published: September 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were very fortunate Sunday afternoon. As we drove along the Bow Valley Parkway (the more scenic alternative to Hwy. 1) the sky began to clear. We passed a few interesting points along the way. Among them, a memorial for Germans and Austrians held in the internment camps during the first world war and used as slave labour to build the roads in Canada's first national park and, the Great Divide - the path that marks the Continental divide that separates the watersheds that drain into the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.

All along this highway are lookout points where tourists can pull over and photograph the mountains. When the ten peaks appeared in the distance, we watched for an opportunity to stop and take a picture of these huge, snow-covered peaks.

Our first view of Lake Louise was just as impressive. This tiny glacial lake is surrounded by mountains that, at one end of the lake are crowned by glaciers. At the opposite end sits the Chateau Lake Lousie, newer and smaller than the Banff Springs hotel but every bit as beautiful.

What you cannot see is the termperature - only 4 degrees celcius. I couldn't resist putting my hand in. By the time Mark focused the camera and took a picture it was amost numb.

Mark and I walked the path the runs along the northern shore of the lake from one end to the other (about 2km) while Sam enjoyed the gardens that surround the hotel.

Our final stop of the day was Moraine Lake, considered the "sister" to Lake Louise. Moraine is surrounded by the ten peaks and was the view pictured on the back of the old 20 dollar bill. It is an unbelievable shade of blue. I am certain no photo will do it justice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th September 2010

Moraine Lake
Wow! If that photo doesn't do the colouring justice, I just can't imagine it! It's so vivid in the photo! DSM's are coming in tomorrow - lucky you're missing it! Have a great evening!

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb