Lake Louise in July


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Lake Louise
July 13th 2021
Published: July 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Lake Louise is world famous for its turquoise lakes, the Victoria Glacier, soaring mountain backdrop. Lake Louise is a rare place that must be experienced to be believed. We visited the area more than 20 years ago during the month of May and the lake was still frozen over, a few months back with another heygo guide, Patrick, I virtually walked ON the frozen lake but today with Pamela she took the trail and walked along the lake trail. Firstly starting in front of the iconic Chateau Lake Louise hotel.

The hotel itself has beginnings with the naming and colonization of Lake Louise. While employed by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1882, Thomas Wilson was procuring equipment for construction when he heard the sounds of a nearby avalanche. His indigenous companions informed him the sounds were coming from the “snow mountains above the lake.” They took him there on horseback and what he saw, he named Emerald Lake because of its blue and green water.



In 1890, Canadian Pacific Railway general manager Cornelius Van Horne had a one-story log cabin constructed on the shore of Lake Louise. This small log cabin had one central area that was
used as a dining room, office, bar, and gathering room, as well as a kitchen, and two small bedrooms. He called it “Chalet Lake Louise,” which hosted visitors from various stations along the railway line. While just 50 guests stayed in 1890, by 1912, that number had risen to 50,000. Despite two fires, his tiny cabin would become today’s Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. In August 1896, American lawyer Philip Abbot fell to his death while climbing Mount Lefroy. His was the first recorded death from mountaineering in North America. His unfortunate death influenced the Canadian Pacific Railway to hire two professional Swiss mountain guides for the safety of visitors wishing to reach the summit.



Tourism is starting to open & there were many people about but as Pamela walked the numbers reduced as most people stayed close to the area in front of the hotel.

The colour of the lake was just stunning, people were enjoying the kayaks on offer and of course plenty of people taking photos of the lake with the Victoria Glacier as the backdrop.

Wild flowers were in abundance along the trail. A great walk with https://www.heygo.com/pamela


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement









Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb