Our Journey Continues North - Columbia Icefields to Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
September 24th 2005
Published: June 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Climbing Parker RidgeClimbing Parker RidgeClimbing Parker Ridge

Trying to find a mountain goat
After we'd once again extracted poor Rufous from his frosty casing, we set off for another hike, this time up Parker Ridge. After a slippery climb up a half-ice/ half-snow trail (which transformed into all-mud on the way down), we made it to the summit, with stunning views of the Saskatchewan Glacier and Columbia Icefield mountains. Apparently, this hike is usually very crowded, but we had it pretty much to ourselves - so this crazy, off-season trip does have its advantages.

Unfortunately, on the mountain goat front, we were denied again - despite everyone saying 'if you want to see mountain goats, climb Parker Ridge'. The cantakerous little puffballs were nowhere to be seen.

After the hike, we started the long drive north to Jasper, stopping at heaps of spots on the way, including Athabasca Falls and Sunwapta Falls, where Quin managed to sprain his ankle :-(. We decided to take the 'alternative', old highway to Jasper town, which was quite a hair-raising drive, since the road seemed to have decayed into one giant pothole after another. No problem for little Rufous though. Poor Rufous, and all he wanted to do was go south to Mexico.

Tonight we
At the Top of Parker RidgeAt the Top of Parker RidgeAt the Top of Parker Ridge

The mountain goats are hiding - elusive little puffballs
are camping again - at Jasper's Whistlers Mountain campground (luckily, it is not, as the name suggests, on the top of Whistlers Mountain, so it is only cold, not ridiculously freezing).

In other news, Quin has developed the habit of drying his sodden, stinky socks by laying them out on the car dashboard radiator right in front of my nose. Lovely.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

View of Saskatchewan GlacierView of Saskatchewan Glacier
View of Saskatchewan Glacier

Another tongue of the Columbia Icefield
Mrs Bighorn Sheep and Her KidMrs Bighorn Sheep and Her Kid
Mrs Bighorn Sheep and Her Kid

Look at its cute baby horns
Tangle FallsTangle Falls
Tangle Falls

Near Beauty Creek


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb