Floating Icebergs and the Quest for Moose - Jasper


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Jasper
September 27th 2005
Published: September 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Magnificent Angel GlacierThe Magnificent Angel GlacierThe Magnificent Angel Glacier

Clinging to the rocks over her lake
Today's outing took us to the stunning Edith Cavell/ Angel Glacier, where three glaciers overhang a beautiful, iceberg-filled lake. Giant chunks of ice fall off the glacier and tumble to the lake below and then float to the edge like ice cubes in a blue curacao cocktail. Luckily, none fell while we were there, as they probably would have landed on our heads. We also had a quick peak at the ice caves embedded in the rim of the glacier - with quick being the operative word - you don't want to tempt fate for too long! We also went for a hike up to Cavell Meadows - of course, by this time, everything was completely covered in snow and ice and very slippery. But the view was fantastic and we met another pika hiding in the boulders on the way back - this time, I managed to get a photo of the cheeky little furball.

In the afternoon, we continued our quest for moose, which this time took us all the way to Medicine and Maligne Lakes. Medicine Lake was starting its disappearing act (it mysteriously vanishes by winter - once thought to be due to 'bad medicine'). Perhaps due to bad medicine, there were no moose.

At Maligne Lake, we found a promising-sounding walk called 'Moose Lake Loop' so we eagerly revived our search with renewed hope. Well, try as we might, we found no moose - only fresh moose tracks leading to the lake to tease us further. The lake was a magical and serene place in the middle of an enchanted forest - totally secluded with not another person (or moose) in sight. We noticed some splashing in the lake, and a small dark form swimming around near the middle that we became convinced was a beaver. Enthralled, we stalked this thing for ages with uncompromising stealth, tiptoeing along the lakeshore at half-height and hiding in long grass for it to reveal its identity. I am embarrassed to admit that our 'beaver' actually turned out to be a diving duck . Haha.

Quin, coordinated as always, managed to fall in the lake and saturate his socks, startled by a trio of birds (wild geese?) that swooped down in formation right over our heads and landed in the lake. It was bizarre - up close, the sound of their wings ripping through the air was like an F-15 fighter jet.

Well, it was getting dark, so we trudged back to the car, resigned to the fact that there would be no moose. We got in the car, put on the headlights and pulled out of the parking lot to start the long drive back, when what did we see? MOOSE!! A mother moose and her baby, right there in front of us! We were so excited . They didn't seem to mind us at all and continued ambling around next to us (hope they're not dangerous, hehe), engulfing vast quantities of vegetation like giant, slow bulldozers. They ate whatever crossed their path - herbs, shrubs, tree branches, you name it. It was too dark for photos, but we even got to see the calf suckling from its mother while she munched away on bushes. Moose emit a very strange and unlikely noise - a sad, low moaning sound, 'oooooooowwww', like a zombie in pain. They seem really quite gentle - we couldn't work out whether we should be wary or not since we were so close. But they seemed quite content to let the silly humans watch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lake Caves Sculptured Out of IceLake Caves Sculptured Out of Ice
Lake Caves Sculptured Out of Ice

On the shores of Edith Cavell's lake
Angel Glacier and Her LakeAngel Glacier and Her Lake
Angel Glacier and Her Lake

Chunks of ice fall from the glacier and collect in the lake below
Ice Cave Below the AngelIce Cave Below the Angel
Ice Cave Below the Angel

Don't try this at home, kids...
Medicine LakeMedicine Lake
Medicine Lake

The lake mysteriously vanishes in winter, once thought to be due to 'bad medicine'
At Last... a Photo of a Pika!At Last... a Photo of a Pika!
At Last... a Photo of a Pika!

Those elusive, boulder-hopping furballs
Moose LakeMoose Lake
Moose Lake

But, alas, no moose - only a suspect beaver that turned out to be a diving duck...


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb