Happiness at its purest.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Hinton
February 29th 2016
Published: February 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Rocky Mountain Drive

It is an absolute MUST to drive through the rocky mountains. It is stunning, with constant sights to see. It would be impossible to get bored, and despite a 12 hour journey I was not bored at the end of it, so perfect to take children through.

Reading week came rushing up upon us, and for the first time since Christmas, we found ourselves with 9 spare days on our hands. Leah, my utterly wonderful best friend and house-mate, offered for me to spend the week up in Hinton with her family in their home. I couldn't say no of course.
So on the 12th February we got in the car at 9am and arrived in Hinton at 9pm. Now, if you drove for 12 hours in the U.K you would probably end up off the coast of Scotland, however when you drive for 12 hours in Alberta, you can drive through the rocky mountains (look at the map for a more detailed explanation) where you can travel through Canmore, Banff National Park, and up towards Jasper National Park. What a fantastic and thoroughly enjoyable drive that was.

The week spent in Hinton, was the best week of my life.

First of all, Leah's family, from her parents, to her brother and sister and then to her fantastic dog, Saddie, were once again, the most welcoming, generous and genuinely wonderful people (and pet) I have ever met (along with Jenna's parents and family of course). From
The smaller ice wall within Maligne CanyonThe smaller ice wall within Maligne CanyonThe smaller ice wall within Maligne Canyon

If anyone is interested, there are many companies who specialise in doing guided tours and ice walks (walking up and down the ice walls) within Maligne canyon. From a local persons perspective, this is the best company to use; http://www.sundogtours.com/package/maligne-canyon-icewalk-tour-jasper-alberta/
the moment I stepped into the door there was no question that I was welcome, and that for the week, their home was my home, so, although this is mainly for my own purpose, I would truly like to thank the phenomenal people I had the pleasure to live with that week. So thank you, it means more than you could imagine.

Leah was determined that I got the full Canadian experience, without the strain of university constantly sat on my shoulders, so during the day we were always engaged with different activities, and during the night we studied for upcoming midterms. On Saturday Leah, Amy, Danika and I went to Maligne Canyon located in Jasper National Park (which is where most of the locations I shall mention were located). As can be expected with anything found in the natural environment within Alberta, it was absolutely stunning. The canyon itself is the deepest canyon in Jasper, at 50 meters and was formed during the last ice age. It is home to many species of bird too, however due to visiting the canyon during February many of the species were hidden away for their hibernation. We walked through the bottom
The ViewThe ViewThe View

Well.....again. I am one lucky girl.
of the canyon after climbing down an awkward, ice covered slope however it was worth it! The ice wall was also one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. It was meters thick, however as the temperature warmed it was slowly melting away so there was a constant flow of water, and the canyon was filled with the sound of purity and clean water. I could talk about it for days, however it is definitely worth visiting. Just note that during the summer period you are unable to walk within the canyon as it is filled with the glacial melt water of the surrounding mountains.

On Sunday we went to 'The Ridge' in Hinton which was utterly breathtaking. The hike was only 2 hours long and the view was incredible. 180° views of the Rocky mountains and the Athabasca river which runs below. We then went to an event in Hinton called the Bonhomme Carnivale, where we ate maple syrup that was rolled in snow, and I got a lovely picture of an RMCP in all his shining glory, and beautiful get up! It was a lovely, relaxed day.

Monday was the day we visited Jasper
Ice cold maple syrupIce cold maple syrupIce cold maple syrup

Who'd have thought this was a real thing?! SO CANADIAN!
Park Lodge. We had a small lunch there which was delicious, but cost a small fortune, however, it is pet friendly, which is very attractive. We then visited Jasper town and also went up to Pyramid lake, which is situated beneath Pyramid mountain. Now, that is a site to see, and something that shall remain engrained in my memory for the rest of my life. With a frozen lake beneath my feet, and the most stereotypical, beautiful, and awe-inspiring mountain above me, I was speechless. I cannot express, or asseverate quite how that moment in time touched me. Therefore, take it from me when I say, it is a MUST see.

So we went back. On Tuesday, I rented a pair of skates for $10 from Freewheel cycle LTD (located in Jasper Town) who fitted them very well and whose customer service was wonderful. Again, what an experience. It only amplified my adoration for the mountains, however it was difficult to remove my eyes from the black ice beneath me. Fantastic!

On Thursday Leah and I took to the mountains alone. First walking around the forest in Hinton with Saddie and next to a hidden land-form just outside of the
national park. I have no real name for the formation she took me to, so I shall just refer to it as a rock corridor. It was situated just below the Pocahontas/Roche Miette mountain. Due to the fact that the water flow was almost entirely ice, we were able to walk up the river which was also founded there. The higher we went, the quieter it grew. To a point where the silence was deafening, and wholly detaching from the world. What a privilege that was.

Friday was officially, THE-BEST-DAY-OF-MY-LIFE. Oh MY gosh! So, Leah's papa is a grizzly bear biologist, and has contacts within the flying business, so managed to get us a helicopter ride above the rocky mountains! Holy. It was incomprehensibly fantastic. I shan't say much more as it's very difficult to articulate, however we landed on a mountain and I was able to take a lot of beautiful photographs. I am extremely lucky.

Saturday was a hang-over day, due to an unmeasurable amount of alcohol was consumed the night before. However, we drove to Edmonton to stay with Leah's sister, and at the end of the journey we went to the largest mall in North America called West Edmonton Mall. It is big enough to contain 2,500 stores, a water park, a sea lion exhibition and a theme park, so as you can imagine it was a sight to see for sure.

We drove home to Lethbridge on Sunday, and life as a student began again the next day, with the wonderful town of Hinton just a memory and a smile away. But a promise to Leah's family that I shall see them again, which of course, I must keep. Finally, thank you Leah. You truly are one of my favourite people, and I am beyond grateful to have met you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The CorridorThe Corridor
The Corridor

This is a hidden attraction, therefore ask any local from Hinton and they should hopefully be able to take you. The great thing about this is that there was NO tourists there. We were the only humans there, which was lovely!
The Rock CoridoorThe Rock Coridoor
The Rock Coridoor

Just before the rock corridor was a clay cliff face which is full of scribbles and signatures from the local people. Look for the R.B. above L.S, A.S and P.S and that's me!


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb