Not all Northern Irish people are obsessed with potatoes


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Edmonton
July 1st 2006
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today is Canada day! Coming from Northern Ireland, where national holidays tend to divide sections of the community rather than unite them (the 12th of July.. St Patricks day).. it's a bit strange to see how everyone feels that, on Canada day at least, they can unite under a flag, sing an anthem and feel truly Canadian. There is a true sense of patriotism.. and it is impossible to ignore the bunting everywhere with the Canadian flag printed on it.. the reduced price of maple syrup in the supermarkets and the fact that some people feel the need to stand in their backgardens and sing the Canadian national anthem regardless of tune or rhythm.
We started celebrations with a BBQ at the Dube's house.. where the food was amazing. We all got into the spirit of things with maple leaf tattoos, red hair dye, ribbon and flags - after all, we wouldn't want to stand out! I should perhaps, though, quell a myth, for those of you who perhaps plan to cater for Northern Irish people some time in the future, - contrary to popular belief we are not all obsessed by potatoes. Our Canadian hosts also took the
Cracker cats baseball gameCracker cats baseball gameCracker cats baseball game

Yep... watching paint dry may have been a more exciting way to pass the time
opportunity to ask us some questions and it always bemuses me that they think Northern Ireland is so small that we are bound to know everyone that lives there.. including their cousin once removed on their wife's side. Another point of note, it is generally not a good idea to ask people from Northern Ireland to sing their national anthem - Northern Irish people (although this is simplifying it greatly) are divided into those who wish Northern Ireland to remain part of the UK and will thus God Save the Queen and those who wish it to unite with Ireland and will sing the Soldiers Song.
After the BBQ, we went to see a baseball game featuring Edmonton's home team - the Cracker Cats. I have to say, baseball really didn't appeal to me and, similar to rounders at home, it just wasn't the most thrilling of sports to watch. However, it was cultural experience and part, I feel, of living life as a Canadian. To end the evening, we watched the fireworks from the bridge which were truly beautiful. It was definitely one of those moments where I felt really connected to both my team and to all the other people standing on that bridge. The whole place was packed with people but, as the fireworks lit up the pitch-black night sky, there was a kind of reverent silence. For me, there was some sense of solidarity and it all just kind of summed up Canada day and what we are missing with our national holidays in NI.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Shalini getting into the spirit of thingsShalini getting into the spirit of things
Shalini getting into the spirit of things

Shalini - my other co-ordinator.. and a true legend


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb