Countdown to Lift Off!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Edmonton
March 19th 2018
Published: March 19th 2018
Edit Blog Post

River ValleyRiver ValleyRiver Valley

Getting a last dose of Canadian winter!
00
DAYS 
00
HOURS 
00
MINS 
00
SECS





Finally! After a year and a half of paying down debt, followed by another 15 months of saving, we are almost on our way to Australia. We got rid of everything we owned, (save for whatever we could fit into two suitcases and a backpack), emptied out our Toronto apartment, said goodbye to our friends and quit our jobs. Locking the door to the house we had happily lived in for seven years, it was surreal to walk out onto our lawn at 5 in the morning, the sun beginning to rise over Lake Ontario, and not knowing when we would be coming back. It was an exciting feeling, but also a bit daunting as well.

Flying from Toronto to Edmonton, we are spending a month here, staying with Kevin's parents. Here, we are stocking up on precious family time as both our families hail from Alberta. There are plenty of Junior League hockey games, dance recitals, family dinners and movie nights to catch up on here. In between visits, we have bought sturdy backpacks and are doing our very best to pack light for the adventure ahead.

Although it is March, there is plenty of snow in Edmonton. We are getting the last of our Canadian winter now, as who knows when we will see snow next. Not that I'm complaining. I can vouch for my hometown here, since it is a great place for avid hikers and cyclists. Trails crisscross all over this city and we have gone walking with the folks all over. In particular, the River Valley is beautiful, set smack dab in the middle of the city. After inhaling smog and god knows what living in Toronto for so long, the crisp, fresh air of the Prairies is incredibly refreshing. Although the snow is deep, the temperatures are mild. Trust me, as long as you dress sensibly in this part of Canada, you don't get cold. And with that huge sky above you and the sun raining down, it's downright pleasant.

We still have some time left here before we go, so we are going to enjoy ourselves and relax. It's weird to not have work to go to and a bit unnerving at times to not have a steady pay check like we're used to, but we are also free from any constraints that come with that security. It's a wonderful, scary feeling, but good scary. I've got a good feeling about this one.

Advertisement



20th March 2018

YAY!
Love this blog. I just subscribed! So excited for you both! Lovely writing, Harm! xoxo Kev, can't wait to read yours . Love you and miss you both a ton. <3 Glad to hear you're having a great time with your folks.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb