Rockies & Drumheller


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Drumheller
May 19th 2013
Published: May 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We left Vancouver at 6:00pm and arrived in Kamloops around 9:30pm. We settled in at a local hotel, and enjoyed a delicious meal at the 24hr Denny’s. Dale had an avocado salad with a side of fries, and I had the grilled cheese senior’s meal with a side salad. Yum!

The next morning we took off early at 7:30am (note, we tried for 6:00am, but it was day one and that didn’t happen). The ride through the Rockies was incredible. It’s one thing to live in Vancouver and see Grouse and Seymour mountains, but it’s a totally different experience going through the Rockies. They were awe inspiring and humbling.

We stopped in at the local Timmy Ho’s in Golden BC, followed by a 5 minute stop while the cop wrote up Dale’s speeding ticket. We didn’t even get out of BC and we’re one speeding ticket deep. Needless to say, it took us a while to get to Drumheller as Dale was extra cautious after that.

Our first stop in AB was Horseshoe Canyon which is a smaller version of the Grand Canyon about 10 minutes west of Drumheller. It was a remarkable site. We then made our way to Drumheller which is a surprisingly large city with all the amenities you would ever need. I had expected something completely different considering we had spent the last hour driving with nothing but farmland out the windows.

We stopped at the Hoodoos, which are large mushroom shaped rock formations. We spent the afternoon exploring the Hoodoos and climbing the valley walls.

That evening we crossed 9 bridges in 4 kilometers on our way to the famous Rosedeer Hotel and Last Chance Saloon in Wayne, AB where we stopped in for a quart sealer (beer in a quart canning jar).

Our second day in Drumheller we spent at the Royal Tyrrell Museum. We started the day with a guided hike in the Badlands where we learned all about how the valleys were formed, where fossils are found in the rocks, and what the rocks say about the different eras. The landscape of the Badlands is a remarkable sight with layers upon layers of different colored rock lining the valley walls.

Following the hike we participated in a guided prospecting tour where Dale found what he thinks is a dinosaur tooth (however this was not confirmed).

We spent the remainder of the afternoon in the Museum looking at all the different Dinosaur bones and learning about the history of this region. Dale thought this museum was “Dino-mite” (not funny, his joke).

Ok well off to bed, tomorrow morning we leave bright and early for Tugaske, SK.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



19th May 2013

awesome
great pictures...and so sorry about the speeding ticket...hey Alana...take it out of his beer fund!!!
21st May 2013

Nice Pics!
Thanks for sharing these pics guys! Looks exciting thus far. I see Dale's on top of the world there, are you throwing that speeding ticket off the edge LOL...Keep having fun guys!
21st May 2013
DSC00668

Dino Teeth
Is this where he found the Dino Teeth? lol

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb