Thinking of Caribee


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
June 1st 2013
Published: June 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We have been in Calgary for a month now working.

What a different life- the weather is all over the place and mostly cool, I am working indoors on a computer again, wearing shoes, and we live in a highrise downtown. A big change from Fort Pierce for sure!

We have a marvelous apartment about three blocks south of Calgary's downtown center. We are on the 22nd floor facing WNW, but a little bit of our balcony wraps around so we can see the sunrise as well as having a perfect view of the sunset. We have a spectacular view of the mountains, and we are able to enjoy this view even after working long hours inside because darkness only falls around 10:30 pm here. After nightfall the city lights shine on us, and it's a completely different kind of beauty. The apartment has huge windows in all directions and we are on the corner, so you can enjoy the view from anywhere you sit. I must say I am enjoying this place.

We were able to escape for a few hours last Sunday and we took a trip to Canmore on the edge of the Rockies. We walked the trail to Grassi Lakes, a rise of 250 m past waterfalls to spectacular green lakes and a stunning view of the white capped mountains. We will try to get another few hours off here and there to do some more trails, but it is difficult because we work 7 days a week. Hopefully we will take a few days at the end of our work to discover more of the Rockies before we leave for Montreal.

We do not know at this moment how much longer we will be here. We presume we'll have work until the end of the month, but how much past that remains to be seen. If it's that close we might stay for Stampede- I have never been in Calgary at that time and it would be a good experience. Calgary's Stampede is a world class rodeo, and the city will come alive!

We are a long way from Caribee and we think about her every day. We miss her, we miss the warm weather and the sun, and we miss sailing... especially after the one month mark of being inside an office. It is necessary however, so we just try to find some fun and beautiful things in our new environment. Our friend Bruce has stripped off half of the worn out teak deck for us, we are very grateful for his help. This way when we return we will be that much farther ahead and able to continue our journey to Anguilla much faster. Bruce gives us reports on his progress and reports on Caribee herself. It is comforting to know all is ok.

I will leave you with some pictures of our place and our trip to Canmore


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



3rd June 2013

Your condo is awesome! What a view :) I secretly hope you guys get to stay for the Stampede, sounds like fun! Plus then we may get pictures of Marty is a cowboy hat :)
2nd September 2013

That condo was amazing. Especially when I was able to work from the balcony!
7th June 2013

From Virginia
I had spent time in Calgary, too. Memories of another life! Great pictures and it is good to hear of progress on the boat.
2nd September 2013

We just got back to Montreal. We will be here for a few weeks and then back to Caribee to continue our adventure!
2nd September 2013

We just got back to Montreal. We will be here for a few weeks and then back to Caribee to continue our adventure!

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb