Getting Settled In Calgary & Canada Day Celebrations


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 1st 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After our first night in Calgary the next day we went exploring the city, we caught the C-Train to town, checked out some malls and basically got ourselves familiar with the area around where we were staying.

One of the malls we visited had a movie theatre in it so we went to see Snow White and the Huntsman, it was a great movie, the movie screen was huge and so was the popcorn and drink, Amanda had to use two hands to have a drink, it was so big. It was relaxing to chill out and watch the movie.

The next day Amanda went to where she is going to work and met some of the people she will be working with.

The transport system in Calgary is great, you can catch the C-Train to, or close enough to most places in the city and then catch a bus. We had a little adventure on the bus when we were looking at basement suites, we caught the C-Train to the other side of Calgary and then caught the bus to where we were looking at the basement suite, the trouble was when we had to get back on the bus and get to the C-Train to get home, we got on the right bus but on the wrong side of the road so took the whole loop/scenic tour to get back to the train station. It was OK though because we got to see some areas we would not have seen and the bus went past the Olympic Park before getting back to the station, our 10 minute bus ride ended up taking an hour.

We decided to take a day away from looking for apartments and work and do something touristy, so the Calgary Tower it was, the tower is only 191 metres tall (so shorter than the Sky Tower, which surprised us), it used to be the tallest building in Calgary but no longer is, the views were still fantastic as the taller buildings were only on one side of the tower.

Amanda had her first day of work, which was very tiring after having a couple of weeks of not having to do anything, and waking up whenever you like.

Amanda's bosses lent us one of their trucks, a Ford F250 which is huge, Shane has been doing all the driving,
Women are PersonsWomen are PersonsWomen are Persons

The lady holds a sign saying Women are Persons, it's also on $50 notes
Amanda hasn't attempted it yet, maybe when we get a smaller vehicle. The funny thing is even though we are in such a big truck, there are still more bigger than us. Driving on the other side of the road is different, but surprisingly easier than expected as it seems natural when you are sitting on the other side of the car. We have had a couple of moments when we feel like we should be on the other side but we are adapting and it’s all OK.

We went to the movies again this time the screen was enormous, bigger than the one at the other movie which we thought was huge. We saw Ted, the movie was completely booked out and the seats were allocated, we still managed to have the best seats in the theatre (which is funny because every time someone sat down you heard them say they had the best seats in the theatre, so i think they must all be great). The movie was hilarious and we recommend seeing it.

We moved in with Amanda's boss' mother, she is letting us stay with her until we can move into our basement suite. Everything happens in months here so we have to wait till next month.

Then we had the Canada Day (1st July) celebrations, what a great day, everyone got into the spirit of it, there was red and white everywhere, maple leafs and cowboy hats, we even picked ourselves up a couple of hats. They had lots of entertainment in the city centre, there were heaps of food carts, craft stalls, shop stalls, face painting, sidewalk entertainers and heaps more. We walked down the river walk, which had more entertainment including yoga demonstrations, bike hockey and more. Then we made it to Paradise Island which had even more entertainment the one man band was our favourite, its amazing the music one man can make. We went to the fireworks display at Centre Street Bridge, the fireworks were fantastic and there was a thunderstorm in the background so some great lightening as well.

The next day we got rollerblades, we bladed up the river walk and back down again, and through Paradise Island, we had to do some pretty nifty manoeuvres, Amanda was scared it took a couple of tries to even get off the seat after putting the blades on, then she was off, but nearly fell over going over a bridge that was on a bit of a downhill, Shane had no worries getting up on the blades but had one moment himself where he nearly fell over which ended up looking like a fancy move.

Next on the list, Calgary Stampede 2012 (100th Year Anniversary) Yee Ha!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



9th July 2012

You two sure suit those cowboy hats ! Thanks for the interesting and entertaining update. I think you are very brave attempting roller-blading, to say nothing of driving a big vehicle on the opposite side that you are used to! . .Love the photos and commentary and am looking forward to the next update. Take care. . .xoxo M.L.G

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb