we're here in Stampede Town


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
July 9th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We surprised Russell & Mini by arriving a day early. I really don't know how that happened, but they were gracious in their welcome. How good it is to see them and hug them and just talk & laugh together. They are now off to the Stampede with their nephews so "do the rides". We have opted to spend a little quiet time here. Our stay at the Banff Springs Hotel was amazing. After a disappointing drive down the icefield parkway (it was cloudy, wet and cold - even a bit of snow at one stage) we decided to cut the run short and head for our hotel. One thing I noticed as we drove into Banff was these beautiful bridges across the highway with trees growing on them but no roads before or after the bridge. I then found out that they are bridges for the wildlife to cross. How good is that! Apparently the bears are a little slow to use them but the elk are delighted with them. Then there was The Hotel - The place has spread so much since I was there last - some 30 years ago! Anyway, after a bit of a round about approach we drove into the Main entrance. A young man was standing out there in the wind and the cold, he asked our name, found it on the "list" (which blew away a few minutes later) and the red carpet just rolled out for us. Young men to take care of our bags (one was wearing a kilt!), others to take care of the car - I smiled to see Ron's shoes in a shopping bag hanging off this very posh baggage trolley. Inside the place everything has been updated. I didn't recognise anything, but, what a fabulous place - it was like another world. Our room was lovely - overlooked the Bow River and the mountains in the background (when they came out). There was a selection of nibbles on the table with a note to say they were with the compliments of the Fairmont CEO - strawberries cut in a wine glass, wedges of cheese, flat breads, some kind of dried meat which was very tasty.
Our meal that night was delicious - Ron had asparagas soup and a pork chop etc, and I had scallops and the dessert buffet (chocs galore). This morning a little rain and cloud - quite cold 9 c. As we approached Calgary I was amazed at the major growth. There are huge road construction projects underway and the map was invaluable. Russell was mowing his lawn when we arrived.
It's great to just be quiet here for a while and gather thoughts. Ron's lying down.
Our love to you all,
Ron/Dad/Grandpa & Pat/Mum/Granny

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb